. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vandalvideo

Bronze

Re: Medical Marijuana Card

Post by vandalvideo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:34 pm

im_blue wrote:
It's illegal to possess marijuana, not possess the medical marijuana card. Specifically, I'm asking about the "I hope I didn't just fuck up my life lol :'(" part.

Why should you be getting in trouble for venturing for a valid medical use license as issued by the state you reside in? It is like getting chastised for having an organ donor's card in your wallet. :| A medical marijuana card does not illustrate intent to consume illegal substances. You could merely claim it was due prudence and concern for your health which prompted your trying to get all the medical use licenses you can.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:01 pm

I don't imagine that it should make any difference at all, unless for some reason you disclose that you have this card on your application (and I'm not sure why you would). And, even if you did, just having the card isn't illegal anywhere - it's just the pot that's the problem.

If you do disclose, and are banking on the fact that the state of CA recognizes medicinal use of marijuana: It is my duty, as a CA state employee (who deals frequently with citations involving people in possession of club cards) to let you know that the state of CA has, since it legalized marijuana, only issued 5 medicinal marijuana cards. CA police generally won't touch a situation if the person has a non-state issued club card (unless it's on government property), but I'm not sure how law schools outside the state will see it.

On the whole though, I highly doubt you having a club card is going to matter at all unless you try and drag weed across state lines and end up in trouble that way. It's not as though you're likely to get in much trouble here in CA.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:38 pm

Last edited by Knock on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:16 pm

I recently filled out a C&F reference form for an old friend about to sit for the CA Bar. While I don't know or pretend to know what the medical marijuana implications might be, I can say the C&F question is something along the lines of "Does this person have a substance abuse problem that would interfere with their ability to practice law." You have a pretty good argument that using (more or less) legal medication as directed by your physician wouldn't cause a problem here.

martin024

New

Post by martin024 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:01 pm

This thread is ridiculous.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:51 pm

Knockglock wrote:
mi-chan17 wrote:I don't imagine that it should make any difference at all, unless for some reason you disclose that you have this card on your application (and I'm not sure why you would). And, even if you did, just having the card isn't illegal anywhere - it's just the pot that's the problem.

If you do disclose, and are banking on the fact that the state of CA recognizes medicinal use of marijuana: It is my duty, as a CA state employee (who deals frequently with citations involving people in possession of club cards) to let you know that the state of CA has, since it legalized marijuana, only issued 5 medicinal marijuana cards. CA police generally won't touch a situation if the person has a non-state issued club card (unless it's on government property), but I'm not sure how law schools outside the state will see it.

On the whole though, I highly doubt you having a club card is going to matter at all unless you try and drag weed across state lines and end up in trouble that way. It's not as though you're likely to get in much trouble here in CA.
Thanks a lot. Could you do me a favor though and clarify your middle paragraph? you lost me there for a minute.
For sure. That paragraph was hazy. My bad.

If you get cited for illegal possession, and you argue in a C&F addendum that you had the medicinal marijuana card and you're hoping that'll keep you in the clear? Any law school that does its research probably won't take it as a valid excuse. 1) Pot is still illegal at the federal level. 2) The state of CA has only ever issued five medicinal marijuana cards. So even if an out-of-state school were to accept CA's medicinal marijuana, the likelihood of you being one of these five state-approved people is slim. (If you DO have one of these five magic cards, more power to you.)

The club card is pretty much only a valid excuse in CA. And even then, only because our cops don't pick a fight about it. Technically the only "real" cards are those five that were issued by the state. Or so my state employee training tells me.

So (bottom line), if you get busted somehow (though I don't think you would here in CA), I'm not sure that an out-of-state law school will take a club card as an excuse.

QuailMan

New

Post by QuailMan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:17 am

If you get cited for illegal possession, and you argue in a C&F addendum that you had the medicinal marijuana card and you're hoping that'll keep you in the clear? Any law school that does its research probably won't take it as a valid excuse. 1) Pot is still illegal at the federal level. 2) The state of CA has only ever issued five medicinal marijuana cards. So even if an out-of-state school were to accept CA's medicinal marijuana, the likelihood of you being one of these five state-approved people is slim. (If you DO have one of these five magic cards, more power to you.)
Do you have a citation for the claim that there are only "5" cards ever issued? I go to school in the Bay area and I'm pretty sure there are 5 people on my floor with medical cards. At very least there are plenty of people who buy weed from dispensaries that don't let you in unless you have a card (they even tax them now in Oakland, I believe). Is there a differentiation between the cards you are talking about and what so many people seem to have?

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:48 am

QuailMan wrote:
Do you have a citation for the claim that there are only "5" cards ever issued? I go to school in the Bay area and I'm pretty sure there are 5 people on my floor with medical cards. At very least there are plenty of people who buy weed from dispensaries that don't let you in unless you have a card (they even tax them now in Oakland, I believe). Is there a differentiation between the cards you are talking about and what so many people seem to have?
I'm afraid I don't have the citation (I can ask the police I work with, if you're interested though). I'm working with the basics that they give us for my job. It's my understanding, and again this is bare-bones not the whole complex truth, that there are two cards: the state-issued medicinal marijuana card, and the doctor-issued card. According to the police who explained this during training, technically only the former has to be honored. And only in CA, of course (and not on government property).

I live in the Bay Area, and yeah. I think more people where I'm at have club cards than don't. And the places in the city only require the club card (I think most dispensaries only require the club card), not the state-issued ones (because the state almost never issues them). I have no idea how one would even go about getting the state card. In my experience, because the state doesn't generally issue the cards, doctor's generally just do it themselves and the police typically just roll with that. At least here.

QuailMan

New

Post by QuailMan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:54 am

mi-chan17 wrote:
QuailMan wrote:
I'm afraid I don't have the citation (I can ask the police I work with, if you're interested though). I'm working with the basics that they give us for my job. It's my understanding, and again this is bare-bones not the whole complex truth, that there are two cards: the state-issued medicinal marijuana card, and the doctor-issued card. According to the police who explained this during training, technically only the former has to be honored. And only in CA, of course (and not on government property).

I live in the Bay Area, and yeah. I think more people where I'm at have club cards than don't. And the places in the city only require the club card (I think most dispensaries only require the club card), not the state-issued ones (because the state almost never issues them). I have no idea how one would even go about getting the state card. In my experience, because the state doesn't generally issue the cards, doctor's generally just do it themselves and the police typically just roll with that. At least here.
That seems to makes sense. I can definitely see cops not caring. I've rarely heard of someone getting in trouble (infraction at most) for less than 1 ounce of pot, and the vast majority of the time nothing happens at all, I wouldn't waste my time if I was a cop.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:00 am

medical weed is legal in 14 states. you are a junior in UG now, so by the time you graduate from law school i would expect that number to increase drastically (though you can't hope for federal legalization). don't worry about your card; enjoy yourself.

Headybrah

Bronze

Post by Headybrah » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:03 am

Hi!

Figured Im supposed to be in here.
did you get the card because you have cancer, glaucoma, etc., or did you get it because you have back pain or because you sprained your ankle when you were 12?
Pretty sure there are a lot of other things this medicine can cure

to each his own people don't judge anyone...

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:09 am

You aren't required to disclose having a card to law schools.

You aren't required to disclose having a card to the bar when you apply.

HTH.

You are required to disclose substance abuse problems to the bar, but nobody is addicted to marijuana, so roflmao at that.

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:13 am

long term I would think that MMJ card >>>>>>>> possession charge

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:16 am

DCD wrote:long term I would think that MMJ card >>>>>>>> possession charge
Or:
1. Go to Massachusetts
2. Carry an eighth of marijuana in public
3. Get stopped by an officer
4. ???
5. Profit!

dajja15

New

Post by dajja15 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:41 am

What you should do is just get a doctors recommendation but dont register for a card with the state. Your doctors recommendation is all you need, and it can't be traced. If you don't believe a recommendation is all you need, go and read the laws.

rookhawk

Bronze

Post by rookhawk » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:08 am

+1
Last edited by rookhawk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dh22

New

Post by dh22 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:10 am

having a medical marijuana card does not go on your medical record.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:44 am

dh22 wrote:having a medical marijuana card does not go on your medical record.
But raising it in an addendum if you arrested at some point is going to open it up. Again, that's not likely to happen in California.

asoli

New

Post by asoli » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:51 am

As long as he complies with state law he's fine. The fed is not enforcing federal Marijuana laws against people who comply with their state medical laws. There was a memo released last fall all about it.

http://blogs.usdoj.gov/blog/archives/192

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:52 am

lightbulb1986 wrote:i think this is a serious question that warrants a serious answer. anyone have experience with this?
--ImageRemoved--

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:32 am

stoner :420:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”