What if your LS goals change from your application? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CordeliusX

Bronze

What if your LS goals change from your application?

Post by CordeliusX » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:42 pm

What if you want to be world-savior lawyer and then take all corporate law courses? Or you are a dynamo financial guru who wants to make corporate counsel and then exclusively focus on environmental law?

Do schools expect you to fulfill your application "mission statement" should you give one?

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Re: What if your LS goals change from your application?

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:43 pm

CordeliusX wrote:What if you want to be world-savior lawyer and then take all corporate law courses? Or you are a dynamo financial guru who wants to make corporate counsel and then exclusively focus on environmental law?

Do schools expect you to fulfill your application "mission statement" should you give one?
if you apply like mother theresa and pick courses like gordon gecko, you will be c&f pwned. hth.

twopoodles

Bronze

Post by twopoodles » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:56 pm

I had a professor tell us that when applying to graduate school you should act like you know exactly what you want to do, even though chances are very good you'll end up doing something else entirely. I assume its the same with law school.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:58 pm

twopoodles wrote:I had a professor tell us that when applying to graduate school you should act like you know exactly what you want to do, even though chances are very good you'll end up doing something else entirely. I assume its the same with law school.
This is probably true in reality.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:01 pm

Schools expect this to happen...as basically every graduate program allows you to do.

Evidence of this can be found in the fact that public interest scholarships almost always come with the guarantee that you will pay back the money if you don't pursue PI summer work or finish out the time commitment the scholarship sets (BC, for example, requires you to pay back anything you still owe if you leave PI work before 5 years after graduation).

I suppose that could be seen as the exact opposite of what many people do when they enter biglaw...stay in for a few years, make money, pay off debt, go into PI work. Just, you know, in the reverse.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:04 pm

The reason they want to know your interests are so that they can recruit you. Many schools offer some sort of alumni/faculty/student pairing for admitted students. Other schools will send you relevant information from on campus student organizations or journals.

If you are interested in environmental law, they will pair you up with these people/organizations. It's a way to up their yield.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”