Did I lie on my applications? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
usuaggie

Silver

Did I lie on my applications?

Post by usuaggie » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:28 pm

So when I applied, I put down I am majoring in English and minoring in Psychology. My Psych gpa is .01 (yes, really) below the minimum to graduate with it as my minor, so there is a good chance I will not be getting it. Just the B.S. in English. Will this have any repercussions if a school accepts me thinking I will have a major and a minor, but then my diploma just shows English?

thanks in advance

mattymatt

New

Re: Did I lie on my applications?

Post by mattymatt » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:31 pm

Is this your last term? Are you taking any psych courses this term that would bump it up that .01? I feel like even with as many credit hours as a graduating senior would have, a .01 raise is definitely doable in one term.

If not, maybe send an email to each school you applied to letting them know that you didn't complete the Psych minor (I'd leave out the reason, though, unless they ask).

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:33 pm

mattymatt wrote:Is this your last term? Are you taking any psych courses this term that would bump it up that .01? I feel like even with as many credit hours as a graduating senior would have, a .01 raise is definitely doable in one term.

If not, maybe send an email to each school you applied to letting them know that you didn't complete the Psych minor (I'd leave out the reason, though, unless they ask).
This is my last term, and I do not have any psych classes. They said i could write a petition to do research for 30 hrs for 1 credit, and that 1 credit would bump me to a 3.0. I'm probably doing that.

mattymatt

New

Post by mattymatt » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:34 pm

That's your best bet, I'd say.

Even beyond how it might affect your applications, it would be a real bummer to do all the work to get that extra line on your diploma/resume just to have it fall through at the end. Good luck, man.

mb88

Bronze

Post by mb88 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:39 pm

I was almost in the same boat, just not for GPA reasons. This is my last semester as well, and my minor in political science needed only one specific class to go. Unfortunately, due to budget cuts, my school only opened ONE of that required class this spring, and it was full by the time I got to register. I asked for an override due to my status as a senior but was told "There are no overrides." The Political Science office just gave me blank stares and basically let me know I was out of luck.

Thankfully, a single person dropped it the day before classes began and I got in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FeuerFrei

Bronze

Post by FeuerFrei » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:50 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:53 pm

FeuerFrei wrote:
usuaggie wrote:Just the B.S. in English.
While English is a BS major, wouldn't you get a BA?
lol, no. I had to take some foreign language, which my adviser forgot to tell me, so I get a Bachelor of Science instead.

hsprophet

Bronze

Post by hsprophet » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:02 pm

At the time of application you had intentions of getting the minor. Things change during the course of school. Losing the minor isn't technically a done deal until graduation.

Now if you said you were getting a minor you KNEW you wouldn't be getting, that's another issue.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:03 pm

hsprophet wrote:At the time of application you had intentions of getting the minor. Things change during the course of school. Losing the minor isn't technically a done deal until graduation.

Now if you said you were getting a minor you KNEW you wouldn't be getting, that's another issue.
I agree with this. Also you still have the intent now to graduate with the Psych minor (doing the 30 hours of research thing). So, how is that lying? It's still possible and still what you want.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:39 pm

Honestly, I don't think they really care, provided you graduate. Minors aren't that important, and psych minors are essentially worth zilch. Its not like getting that extra tiny accreditation will vastly improve your ability to succeed in law school, practice law for that matter.

Edit: And excluding the science/technical degree, it won't influence your employability as a lawyer at all either. Do you ever envision a scenario when you'd be up against a similar candidate, and they'll say, oh, but he has a minor in psychology. We need him
Last edited by danquayle on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:39 pm

do minors even show up on your transcript

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:45 pm

How did you get a GPA of 0.01? I could see 0.0, 1.0, etc, but 0.01> And you can get that to a 3.0 with 1 credit?

soccersmo

New

Post by soccersmo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:54 pm

starstruck393 wrote:How did you get a GPA of 0.01? I could see 0.0, 1.0, etc, but 0.01> And you can get that to a 3.0 with 1 credit?
I'm pretty sure OP has a 2.99 hence .01 under the 3.0 minimum... which could easily be raised by one credit...
not .01 gpa...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:59 pm

fwiw, this thread looks hilarious on the front page

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:42 pm

soccersmo wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:How did you get a GPA of 0.01? I could see 0.0, 1.0, etc, but 0.01> And you can get that to a 3.0 with 1 credit?
I'm pretty sure OP has a 2.99 hence .01 under the 3.0 minimum... which could easily be raised by one credit...
not .01 gpa...
Yea, you're right, I was reading that wrong...

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:43 pm

talibkweli wrote:fwiw, this thread looks hilarious on the front page
haha why is that

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”