how to follow up on application? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yung

Bronze

how to follow up on application?

Post by yung » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:23 am

I am wondering what else there is that you can do to show your enthusiasm to the admissions office after submitting your application? (ex. I heard about calling the admissions office...)

yung

Bronze

Re: how to follow up on application?

Post by yung » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:18 pm

any suggestions please? Can I call the admission's office/dean or maybe visit the campus...?

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:22 pm

Maybe submit an additional essay or LOR, or give a supplement on a recent development. Otherwise, don't bother them. There are some schools that will knock you to the back of the review pile if you send in additional information...

groundkontrol

Bronze

Post by groundkontrol » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:36 pm

starstruck393 wrote:Maybe submit an additional essay or LOR, or give a supplement on a recent development. Otherwise, don't bother them. There are some schools that will knock you to the back of the review pile if you send in additional information...
Is there any proof of this?

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:38 pm

groundkontrol wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:Maybe submit an additional essay or LOR, or give a supplement on a recent development. Otherwise, don't bother them. There are some schools that will knock you to the back of the review pile if you send in additional information...
Maybe those red triangles on LSN from profiles that seem to have a disproportionately high level of "writing" on them? ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

neimanmarxist

Bronze

Post by neimanmarxist » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:42 pm

Here's a link to the Yale Dean of Admissions' blog, where she explicitly states that unless you have a legitimate and pressing reason to phone an admissions office regarding your status, you should desist. I know this is Yale we are talking about here, but I'm sure the wisdom applies across the board :

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... pdate.aspx

Here's another funny one that she wrote about not being a spaz when you're on a waitlist. She suggests you send only 1 LOCI and sit tight, unless there's another major development:

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissi ... alker.aspx

If the school has a spot for you, they will let you know. I actually find that little series in the blog, titled "bad idea jeans" to be quite hilarious (why do they call it that, I wonder?) .

One thing I have seen suggested around this message board that makes a lot of sense is that if you are genuinely interested in the school , you can go visit. Most schools offer tours anyways, so you won't be imposing. And you can show your enthusiastic little face around the admissions building.

Good luck!

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:54 pm

groundkontrol wrote:
Chicago said they did this...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”