JD/MBA Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tx1987

Bronze

JD/MBA

Post by tx1987 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:40 pm

Hi y'all-

I've been thinking that I wanted to get a dual-degree, but I'm not positive yet. Do I have to know now? The reason I'm asking is because I'm unsure what to check on the applications. Also, do you usually go through a separate application process for the MBA part? And does is it tougher to get in if you say that you want a dual-degree?

Flanker1067

Silver

Re: JD/MBA

Post by Flanker1067 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:52 pm

First, you don't necessarily need to know now. You can apply in your first year of Law school to the MBA program at most schools and do the 4 year joint. However, it is my understanding that at most schools you need to be accepted to both programs individually, so that you will need to take the GMAT. Because of that, it is probably in your interest to study for that prior to entering 1L.

On a separate note, I would love to do this but at the law schools I am looking at (Penn and Northwestern especially) I stand no chance of being accepted into their MBA programs. Keep in mind how good the schools are vs. where you can get in vs. which degree you plan to use (or more of).

tx1987

Bronze

Post by tx1987 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:55 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:First, you don't necessarily need to know now. You can apply in your first year of Law school to the MBA program at most schools and do the 4 year joint. However, it is my understanding that at most schools you need to be accepted to both programs individually, so that you will need to take the GMAT. Because of that, it is probably in your interest to study for that prior to entering 1L.

On a separate note, I would love to do this but at the law schools I am looking at (Penn and Northwestern especially) I stand no chance of being accepted into their MBA programs. Keep in mind how good the schools are vs. where you can get in vs. which degree you plan to use (or more of).
Thanks for the info! Also, I have a journalism degree from UT, so when they ask for my degree, I say, "Journalism." Are we supposed to be more official than that?

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:57 pm

tx1987 wrote:
Thanks for the info! Also, I have a journalism degree from UT, so when they ask for my degree, I say, "Journalism." Are we supposed to be more official than that?
Not 100% sure what you are talking about here. I think just saying journalism is fine though because its a common degree. I think you only need to be more specific if its something that can be a B.S. or a B.A or something like that.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:59 pm

tx1987 wrote:Hi y'all-

I've been thinking that I wanted to get a dual-degree, but I'm not positive yet. Do I have to know now? The reason I'm asking is because I'm unsure what to check on the applications. Also, do you usually go through a separate application process for the MBA part? And does is it tougher to get in if you say that you want a dual-degree?
1: You do not have to know now

2: I would not check the JD/MBA box - they probably don't put much stock in it either way, but I can't really see how it would help you, and worst case they start to think about whether you can get in to the MBA program.

3: At almost every school (there are exception) you need to do a separate application for the MBA and take the GMAT

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tx1987

Bronze

Post by tx1987 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:32 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:
tx1987 wrote:
Not 100% sure what you are talking about here. I think just saying journalism is fine though because its a common degree. I think you only need to be more specific if its something that can be a B.S. or a B.A or something like that.
I meant, do I write "Bachelor of Journalism?"

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:19 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:

2: I would not check the JD/MBA box - they probably don't put much stock in it either way, but I can't really see how it would help you, and worst case they start to think about whether you can get in to the MBA program.

3: At almost every school (there are exception) you need to do a separate application for the MBA and take the GMAT

Any exceptions in the T14?

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:24 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:

NYU and Northwestern for sure, perhaps Yale, but don't quote me on that.

Columbia, Berkeley, Harvard, Stanford, and Chicago I know for sure are separate apps.

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:55 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:
imchuckbass58 wrote:

NYU and Northwestern for sure, perhaps Yale, but don't quote me on that.

Columbia, Berkeley, Harvard, Stanford, and Chicago I know for sure are separate apps.
Good info... looks like at NU you apply thru Kellogg and don't need an LSAT score.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”