JD or LLM Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Suresh

New

JD or LLM

Post by Suresh » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:50 am

I'm an JD aspirant from india ..... i'm pursuing the last sem of LLb(common Law) in India (course ends in April'10) ..... i'm considerably convinced from what i've read that JD is better than LLM for a person who intends to pratice law in US ..... however i would be obiled if people who've 'been there' or 'done/doing it' can provide some inputs

Danteshek

Gold

Re: JD or LLM

Post by Danteshek » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:56 am

Have you ever been to the United States? Are you sure you can get a visa? How will you pay for your education? Assuming you have all your ducks in a row I suspect that JD programs will probably not want to consider someone who already has a law degree. LLM is probably your best bet.

Suresh

New

Post by Suresh » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:21 am

supposing all my ducks r in row... what say you ... considering the fact wid LLM u can practice only in NY ? Job opportunities

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:41 am

Flame

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:36 pm

Tough question. I know of one member of my 1L JD class who has a foreign law degree, and there may be others. But to my knowledge, most people with foreign law degrees opt for an LLM rather than a JD.

If you have a law adviser in your university's career center who's knowledgeable about the US legal market, I'd get in touch with him/her. If you school has any alumni who are practicing lawyers in the US, I'd get in touch with them. If neither of those options are viable, you could always email a few US law schools and seek their advice.

I know my response doesn't give you a firm yes/no answer. Sorry. I don't know the answer. Also, I don't think many, if any, TLSers will know the answer. If anyone on here gives you a firm answer, don't take it too seriously unless (1) they have a foreign law degree themselves (2) they can demonstrate in some other way that they're giving you more than an unsubstantiated, uninformed opinion.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:43 pm

Have you thought about the 2-year JD for foreign trained attorneys? NU, for example, offers such a degree.

MeTalkPrettyOneDay

Bronze

Post by MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:48 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Have you thought about the 2-year JD for foreign trained attorneys? NU, for example, offers such a degree.
Now this is good advice. I had no clue such a thing existed, although I suppose it makes perfect sense that it does. It's certainly worth exploring.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:02 pm

MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:Have you thought about the 2-year JD for foreign trained attorneys? NU, for example, offers such a degree.
Now this is good advice. I had no clue such a thing existed, although I suppose it makes perfect sense that it does. It's certainly worth exploring.
Also, this program is different from NU's Accelerated 2-year JD program. My understanding is that it is much easier to get into. Keep in mind that with the LLM, you are really limited to where you can practice (New York?).

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:25 pm

MeTalkPrettyOneDay wrote:
I'm pretty sure BU has a program like this, for foreign individuals looking to get a degree in US law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

roundabout

Bronze

Post by roundabout » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:37 pm

There are several joint LLM/JD programs also, if you'd be interested in both- Duke and Northwestern both do them.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:14 pm

roundabout wrote:There are several joint LLM/JD programs also, if you'd be interested in both- Duke and Northwestern both do them.
If OP is a foreign trained attorney, why would he be interested in a joint JD/LLM degree? Combined, they are of very little value to him!

Suresh

New

Post by Suresh » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:42 am

first of all thanks a ton for replying guys ..... the problem is that most people in india get to know of JD after they are enrolled in a law school ..... hence after law school they go for LLM..... so there's not much information on JD in India .......

I particularly don't want to do LLM b'coz of the nature & purpose of the course .... if i can make it to the US and take up a job as a lawyer ... i would rather have strong fundamentals in the law of the land than a scholarly credential to sit for the bar ...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”