Do splitters wait longer? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fathergoose

Silver

Do splitters wait longer?

Post by fathergoose » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:40 pm

I know it is only mid-January but I haven't heard anything from any of the 9 schools I applied to. I have been complete for a month or more and I haven't gotten a rejection from UVA (#1-way out of my league) or an acceptance from Baylor (#9-hopefully a safety)

I see people on LSN who have gone complete after me with similar indexes and have gotten decisions but I'm stuck with all of my status checkers saying "application complete"

I'm a significant splitter with 170+ and less than 3.0 LSAC gpa.

Do schools hold on to splitters longer before giving them decisions?

I know it can't be an all good/all bad signal but it just strikes me as peculiar.

Thoughts or experiences?

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Re: Do splitters wait longer?

Post by Nom Sawyer » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:44 pm

Q: Do Splitters wait longer?

A: YES. Period. Dot. Exclamation Point.

Good luck on your cycle though!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:46 pm

fathergoose wrote:I know it is only mid-January but I haven't heard anything from any of the 9 schools I applied to. I have been complete for a month or more and I haven't gotten a rejection from UVA (#1-way out of my league) or an acceptance from Baylor (#9-hopefully a safety)

I see people on LSN who have gone complete after me with similar indexes and have gotten decisions but I'm stuck with all of my status checkers saying "application complete"

I'm a significant splitter with 170+ and less than 3.0 LSAC gpa.

Do schools hold on to splitters longer before giving them decisions?

I know it can't be an all good/all bad signal but it just strikes me as peculiar.

Thoughts or experiences?
Expect to wait for any school you aren't an auto admit at. Remember, schools don't like splitters because they think we'll be good students, but because they have to in order to game their numbers.

What schools did you apply to.

Lurkster

Bronze

Post by Lurkster » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:46 pm

Yes, I'm part of the club. That's part of the price that we pay for having slacked in UG.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Expect to wait for any school you aren't an auto admit at. Remember, schools don't like splitters because they think we'll be good students, but because they have to in order to game their numbers.

What schools did you apply to.
UVA
UT
WashU
W&L
IUB
Bama
SMU
UH
Baylor

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wadeny

Bronze

Post by wadeny » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:59 pm

FWIW, I knew quite a few splitters last cycle who waited around forever until eventually getting waitlisted in Feb/Mar. The same was true for me as a reverse-splitter. I sent in most of my apps in late October, but I didn't hear from most places until February (and, not surprisingly, was placed on a ton of WLs). Out of your list, WUSTL was awful for me at least - although I applied early in the cycle, I got a standard WL e-mail in late March. At times, I swear it felt like the schools either lost my app or used it as a coaster for their drinks.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:13 pm

Since UVA is #1 on your list, you may want to consider applying ED since they extended the deadline.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:22 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:Since UVA is #1 on your list, you may want to consider applying ED since they extended the deadline.
Funny you should mention that. Someone else told me that today and I just dropped off the form at the post office about ten minutes ago.

Thanks
wadeny wrote:FWIW, I knew quite a few splitters last cycle who waited around forever until eventually getting waitlisted in Feb/Mar. The same was true for me as a reverse-splitter. I sent in most of my apps in late October, but I didn't hear from most places until February (and, not surprisingly, was placed on a ton of WLs). Out of your list, WUSTL was awful for me at least - although I applied early in the cycle, I got a standard WL e-mail in late March. At times, I swear it felt like the schools either lost my app or used it as a coaster for their drinks.
Not exactly what I was hoping to hear but I do appreciate the heads up

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”