PLEASE WITHDRAW FROM SCHOOLS YOU'RE NOT GOING TO ATTEND Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fonzerelli

Bronze

Re: PLEASE WITHDRAW FROM SCHOOLS YOU'RE NOT GOING TO ATTEND

Post by fonzerelli » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:53 pm

sarlis wrote:OP why did you just delete your post? did you not want to offend fonzi? lol
I WAS ABOUT TO UNLEASH A CAPITALIZED BOLD ATTACK! :D

Heyyyyy.....

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:54 pm

fonzerelli wrote:
sarlis wrote:OP why did you just delete your post? did you not want to offend fonzi? lol
I WAS ABOUT TO UNLEASH A CAPITALIZED BOLD ATTACK!
hahaha. he wrote something like:

fonzi, in a discussion of law school admissions, what would be more important: sentence structure or law school admissions.

he probably retracted his comment because it made no sense.

Also, he said that he wasn;t using an alternate account.

bolding attack, commence!

b.gump81

Bronze

Post by b.gump81 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:55 pm

haha no...just realized i was being hypocritical

but i did the bold to get attention...it obviously worked...and sorry it is distracting

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:57 pm

b.gump81 wrote:

but i did the bold to get attention...it obviously worked...and sorry it is distracting
haha, nice. like people in previous posts said, the message was decent, but the bolding was distracted, lol.

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:59 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
nematoad wrote:Image
Remember how the movie ended?
yeah and lee said that asking whether he did the right thing or not was a question only a white person would ask.

i asked it.. but im gray

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joshhoward

Bronze

Post by joshhoward » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:02 pm

b.gump81 wrote:

could be pretending, but this doesn't sound like someone who's been around a long time using a secondary account

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:05 pm

Core wrote:OP has a bad tone but his message is still quality.
Withdrew from 5 schools I know I won't be attending. Good luck everyone.
thank you

b.gump81

Bronze

Post by b.gump81 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:42 pm

I think my point has been missed. I am not saying people should withdraw from schools they plan on using as leverage or may attend. I was trying to reach the people that basically already know where they will be going to law school yet are too lazy or hell-bent on belt-notching to withdraw from their safeties. The facts are simple. There are a finite number of available slots, and if people sit on those spots with no intention of ever going, it affects other applicants with slightly lower numbers, who otherwise would have a shot at getting accepted.

Also, IMO not every school can be used as leverage- i.e. a full ride to a t2 won't garner you too much more money from a t14.

I know it may be easy to just write me off because this is my "first post", and I somehow have a bad tone. I'm just trying to do everything possible to get into my first choice.

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:45 pm

b.gump81 wrote:I think my point has been missed. I am not saying people should withdraw from schools they plan on using as leverage or may attend. I was trying to reach the people that basically already know where they will be going to law school yet are too lazy or hell-bent on belt-notching to withdraw from their safeties. The facts are simple. There are a finite number of available slots, and if people sit on those spots with no intention of ever going, it affects other applicants with slightly lower numbers, who otherwise would have a shot at getting accepted.

Also, IMO not every school can be used as leverage- i.e. a full ride to a t2 won't garner you too much more money from a t14.

I know it may be easy to just write me off because this is my "first post", and I somehow have a bad tone. I'm just trying to do everything possible to get into my first choice.
Enjoy your spaghetti, cause you're rude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IEgR_904w0

;) I joke... you make a good (albeit loud) point.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:46 pm

Honestly, I think that it may be a bit soon to start a mass withdrawal given that a number of schools haven't made final scholarship decisions! I did everything that I could last cycle to leverage every scholarship received.

b.gump81

Bronze

Post by b.gump81 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:08 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Honestly, I think that it may be a bit soon to start a mass withdrawal given that a number of schools haven't made final scholarship decisions! I did everything that I could last cycle to leverage every scholarship received.
I hoped it helped, but that brings me to another point. Keep in mind, I am not referencing this to you in any way, but in looking on LSN, there are people that have applied to over 20 schools and are holding a spot at the school I want to attend. How receptive, in your opinion, do you think an adcomm would be when someone comes in with twelve t2 and TTT full-rides asking for more money? I think in moderation, leverage is great, but it's overkill to hold 12 people's spots to try and get yourself some more money, when I think in actuality it might backfire.

Also, the majority of people have no intention of using leverage. They applied to these lower schools as safeties out of fear of not getting in to their first choices, and now that they are in they are not withdrawing because of selfish reasons or laziness.

Yes, it is January, but I think this issue will be a significant one this cycle.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:21 pm

I don't think this thread is going to change anyone's mind about withdrawing early.

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:21 pm

For the love of God.....please to naming threads with ALL CAPS. If I were a mod I would ban everyone of them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

echoi

Bronze

Post by echoi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:27 pm

It's just capitalized letters. Fucking chill.

S de Garmeaux

Bronze

Post by S de Garmeaux » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:27 pm

sckon wrote:For the love of God

lol

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:31 pm

nematoad wrote:yeah and lee said that asking whether he did the right thing or not was a question only a white person would ask.

i asked it.. but im gray
I still think that the anger was misdirected, and Lee's comment that viewers who say Mookie was in the wrong value white property over a black man's life over-simplifies things, regardless of the fact that it's his movie.

Even some of the black characters in the movie disagree with Mookie's actions. Lee's comment that no black people ask that question confuses me. How can he say no black people ask that question? The quotes that follow the scene smack you in the face with it.

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:33 pm

echoi wrote:IT'S JUST CAPITALIZED LETTERS. FUCKING CHILL.
ftfy :mrgreen:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:34 pm

I have withdrawn from 15+ school. All of them good enough for me to send an application and surely good enough for someone else to be interested in a seat.

Threads like this aren't needed for me to do what is right. When I got my first admission my hand trembled as I opened the big envelope. When I got my first scholarship I could barely hold the excitement and went around hugging everyone at work.

I want other applicants to have those moments, and I am sure they want to have them as soon as possible. What good is it for me to hold 20 spots if I only need one. Sure I might keep another for safety or leverage, schools know this an plan for it.

There is a reasonable amount of admissions one should keep, and anymore its plain out selfish.
I myself will send my deposit as soon as possible to the school which I want the most (and can afford) and will withdraw immediately from all others.

Cheers fellow applicants.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:38 pm

b.gump81 wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:Honestly, I think that it may be a bit soon to start a mass withdrawal given that a number of schools haven't made final scholarship decisions! I did everything that I could last cycle to leverage every scholarship received.
I hoped it helped, but that brings me to another point. Keep in mind, I am not referencing this to you in any way, but in looking on LSN, there are people that have applied to over 20 schools and are holding a spot at the school I want to attend. How receptive, in your opinion, do you think an adcomm would be when someone comes in with twelve t2 and TTT full-rides asking for more money? I think in moderation, leverage is great, but it's overkill to hold 12 people's spots to try and get yourself some more money, when I think in actuality it might backfire.

Also, the majority of people have no intention of using leverage. They applied to these lower schools as safeties out of fear of not getting in to their first choices, and now that they are in they are not withdrawing because of selfish reasons or laziness.

Yes, it is January, but I think this issue will be a significant one this cycle.
I understand you might be mad because you haven't been accepted to one of your top choices, but generalizations like these make you sound arrogant and selfish.

Doodsmack

Bronze

Post by Doodsmack » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:40 pm

How about we all stop saying "scholly" because it's an annoying word. Just say scholarship.

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:42 pm

Doodsmack wrote:How about we all stop saying "scholly" because it's an annoying word. Just say scholarship.
I prefer "larship."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MusicalChairs

New

Post by MusicalChairs » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Long a lurker but just wanted to say that money does change how one feels about a place. Especially if it's a lot of money. To be straight up about it, folks may not truly know what their preferences are until they have thought long and hard about mortgaging their futures on the prestige of a place and after their scholly options are all in. Especially if you are talking about anyone who might have a family or want a LTR or a couple where both would have a mountain of school debt between the two of them.

Another thought for this odd year. Money decisions may really shape the final 1L classes everywhere. But now I am talking about the decisions some schools are making about who they will give money to and how much and why. The buildings may be the same but class competition and "feel" may be different.

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:49 pm

Thirteen wrote:
b.gump81 wrote:

I understand you might be mad because you haven't been accepted to one of your top choices, but generalizations like these make you sound arrogant and selfish.
+1. some people may, after visiting or getting scholly (sorry for the word choice lol) money from their safeties, may, especially in this economy, might prefer it over their reaches, seeing as though people who get into their reaches prob won't get any money, or will get little money, compared to the safety money offers.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:52 pm

I withdrew from some schools I have yet to hear back from that I'd probably get near full-rides from but I'd never attend considering my current acceptances: BU, IUB, Vanderbilt, Iowa.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:53 pm

superserial wrote:I don't think this thread is going to change anyone's mind about withdrawing early.
Wrong. I was about to withdraw from a bunch of schools, but I decided to stay in just to screw with the OP.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”