One grade will kill me..... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MURPH

Silver

Re: One grade will kill me.....

Post by MURPH » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:14 pm

Try this....
THank you for the opportunity to allow me to explain the grade that I received in my Classical and Medieval Philosophy course. I thought that my grade would be higher than a D. I was shocked to see that on my transcript. I have asked to meet with the professor to look at my final examine and discuss the grade in this class. The professor is not available until the first week of February. Would you be willing to hold my application until then?

Then add Please let me and Murph into your school. We love Duke Law.

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Your addendum is a little confusing to me. First, you say that your grade on the final hasn't been disclosed, but you received a D in the class. Am I missing something? It seems strange that you would be issued a class grade but not allowed to see your grade on the final. Moreover, it is possible that you didn't do as well on the final as you thought and that it's the primary reason for the D. I'm not saying that to insult you. It just seems strange to get As on a midterm and final and be knocked down to a D for attendance alone.

I think it's unwise to speculate that you did well on your final when you don't really know. I would state in your addendum that you were surprised by the grade and that there are two factors that you are unclear about: your grade on the final; and the effect of your attendance on the overall grade. You have contacted your professor about the matter and will update the admissions committee as soon as you have more information. Keep it simple and humble.

There's no saying how this will affect their decision, but as others have said, it's a good sign that they're reaching out to you for an explanation.

Renaixença

New

Post by Renaixença » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:41 pm

No, no, no. You are getting terrible advice in this thread. Your addendum should read:
Addendum Template wrote:Dear Duke,

Since receiving your request for additional information concerning a subpar grade, I have been offered a place in Harvard's entering class.

I trust these words convey the magnitude of the resolute middle finger I have directed your way.

Kisses,
OP

Ayeshabelle

New

Post by Ayeshabelle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks for all the advice

Here is the final draft of my addendum:

After inquiring from the professor about my performance in the class, he informed me that the grade was the result of an administrative error. The grade will be changed to a B+

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:15 pm

Ayeshabelle wrote:Thanks for all the advice

After inquiring from the professor about my performance in the class, he informed me that the grade was the result of an administrative error. The grade will be changed to a B+
Wow, seriously? That's the best outcome possible! Aren't you glad now you didn't just give up?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eshort

New

Post by eshort » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:47 pm

Congratulations! Glad to hear it for you!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:50 pm

As an aside, when this thread popped back up, the title made me think of "Aeroplane" by RHCP, with slightly different lyrics:

Just one grade
Could make me float
Could make me float away
One grade from
The test I wrote
Could fuck me where I lay
Just one grade
Could make me choke
One grade, that's
Not a lie
Just one grade
Could cut my throat
One grade could make me die

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:45 pm

Ayeshabelle wrote:Thanks for all the advice

Great!!!.. Should make Duke very happy, just make sure and update the LSDAS report soon. Hope you didn't send the thing about being sick.. :)

Also on a side note maybe change your avatar? LSACfromNC (or something) uses the same one.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:33 am

Congratulations

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”