Vague Criminal Charges Addendum Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tx1987

Bronze

Vague Criminal Charges Addendum

Post by tx1987 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:21 pm

Hi y'all-

My addendum for criminal charges is pretty darn vague because I don't remember the details and I'm in India right now, so I don't really have access to the records.

Can y'all tell me if this is ok?

Addendum for Criminal Charges
In September 2005, I was ticketed for a minor in possession of alcohol by the Austin Police Department. After appearing in court, I agreed to be placed on deferred adjudication and was on probation for six months. I also had to attend an alcohol education course and perform community service. I completed all the requirements within the allotted time frame and my case was sealed.

In March 2007, I was ticketed for a minor in possession of alcohol by the Port Isabel Police Department. I was put on deferred adjudication again and placed on probation for 90. I successfully completed my probation and received the deferred adjudication.

These were mistakes I made when I was young, the last one being almost three years ago, and should not be seen as representations of my character. I take full responsibility for the offenses and have matured since then. I do hope they will not diminish the committee’s view of me.

jayn3

Silver

Re: Vague Criminal Charges Addendum

Post by jayn3 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:31 pm

tx1987 wrote:Hi y'all-

My addendum for criminal charges is pretty darn vague because I don't remember the details and I'm in India right now, so I don't really have access to the records.

Can y'all tell me if this is ok?

Addendum for Criminal Charges
In September 2005, I was ticketed for a minor in possession of alcohol by the Austin Police Department. After appearing in court, I agreed to be placed on deferred adjudication and was on probation for six months. I also had to attend an alcohol education course and perform community service. I completed all the requirements within the allotted time frame and my case was sealed.

In March 2007, I was ticketed for a minor in possession of alcohol by the Port Isabel Police Department. I was put on deferred adjudication again and placed on probation for 90. I successfully completed my probation and received the deferred adjudication.

These were mistakes I made when I was young, the last one being almost three years ago, and should not be seen as representations of my character. I take full responsibility for the offenses and have matured since then. I do hope they will not diminish the committee’s view of me.
Last edited by jayn3 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ariadne86

New

Post by ariadne86 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:38 pm

My understanding is that a "deferred adjudication" means exactly that -- that the decision in your case was deferred. This is basically an option for first time offenders so they don't have a criminal record. lots of stuff about TX and deferred adjudications show up when you google it. In New Jersey, they have deferred disposition for minors, which means your decision is deferred, and can eventually be dismissed if you perform the community service/pay the fine. What ultimately happens is you have no criminal record. In terms of ethics, it may be wise to disclose. But I don't think you are technically lying if you answer "no" to questions of whether or not you've been "convicted" of a crime. If you can get a hold of any final records about your case, like whether it was "dismissed," that might help.

But to answer your question, the addendum looks good.

tx1987

Bronze

Post by tx1987 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:45 pm

jayn3 wrote:
tx1987 wrote:

mine was just as vague. if they want to know more they ask for court records (and some will), so it might be a good idea to get a copy from your county clerk, and say in the addendum that you can provide them upon request.
Thanks, y'all. Should I say something like, "I am out of the country, but court records will be following soon?" The school I'm applying to asks for the records.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:44 pm

tx1987 wrote:Thanks, y'all. Should I say something like, "I am out of the country, but court records will be following soon?" The school I'm applying to asks for the records.
That would probably help. Probably be a little more specific on where you are and until when but yeah.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”