Quick Fordham question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
soda mayor

New

Quick Fordham question

Post by soda mayor » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:53 pm

I asked this in the Fordham thread but didnt receive a response:

I was accepted to their full time program with a 164/ 3.9 but will likely withdraw because of the amount of debt I would be forced to take on. Is it possible for me to switch to the PT program and ask for money or is that ridiculous?

Columbia Law

Bronze

Re: Quick Fordham question

Post by Columbia Law » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:58 pm

From what I hear, the part time program does not give scholarships.

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:00 pm

They might offer you a seat in the PT program if you present a compelling reason. But why on earth would you think that they would offer you money to take that seat?

This prospect is certainly ridiculous.

To the above, Fordham does offer PT students scholarships. Evidence exists on LSN. These are few and far between, though.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Columbia Law wrote:From what I hear, the part time program does not give scholarships.
As tesoro said, they do, but they tend to be a lot smaller. OP's best bet is to go in person if possible (or else send an email) and speak to Dean Brown about possible money.

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:09 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
Columbia Law wrote:From what I hear, the part time program does not give scholarships.
As tesoro said, they do, but they tend to be a lot smaller. OP's best bet is to go in person if possible (or else send an email) and speak to Dean Brown about possible money.
It's sadly a long shot OS. I had a good conversation with the head of their Fin. Aid dept., and she told me that aid is only offered to top students and only at the time of admission, or after the 1L year if students are in the top X% of their class (non-transfer incentive).

Even if OP were to get $$ from peer schools, Fordham is so pressed for money that I doubt leverage would work. Obviously, it's worth a shot, but I'd hesitate to encourage the idea that DB will give need-based money. Rather, I would expect him to encourage federal loans and discuss both IBR and debt management. OP should consider schools with larger endowments - Fordham has enough people with similar numbers who would give an arm to go there that they can afford to let competitive candidates like OP choose to go elsewhere.

Columbia Law

Bronze

Post by Columbia Law » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:12 pm

OS, did you have any good work experience and/ or take a year off before law school? Asking this because you have the same LSAT as my brother. He has a 164/3.85 and applied with a December LSAT score. He has some decent softs but nothing crazy. Since I am home during my break, I have to listen to him worrying. But he applied as soon as he could with his new score; went complete on 12/29.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”