How to GET OFF the waitlist. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fonzerelli

Bronze

How to GET OFF the waitlist.

Post by fonzerelli » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:30 pm

I haven't been placed on an WL's yet... but I made some pretty far reaches in terms of apps that I suspect may result in a few.

Question: What has worked in getting off the dreaded WL? Supplemental essay? Requesting and interview? Emails? Calls? Bribes? (Joking) Who has successfully kicked the WL monster in the face and emerged victorious? Please share. This could be useful advice for many in the coming weeks/months.

Pearalegal

Silver

Re: How to GET OFF the waitlist.

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:31 pm

Two cycles ago, my friend visited UVA, talked to the admissions department and got off the waitlist the next day.

Then she didn't go there, what a kick in the teeth.

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:33 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Two cycles ago, my friend visited UVA, talked to the admissions department and got off the waitlist the next day.

Wow.... sort of suspect on the part of your friend but good info nonetheless.

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm

letter of continued interest. follow up every few weeks.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:38 pm

fonzerelli wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Two cycles ago, my friend visited UVA, talked to the admissions department and got off the waitlist the next day.

I don't see how that's suspect (unless you were just saying it's suspect that the friend didn't attend in the end). But, if anything, that's smart. It shows dedication and a desire to attend.

Two of my friends are twin brothers and they both attended the same law school. Initially one was accepted and one was not. After finding this out they both went to visit the school together and twin A said to the dean of admissions "You accepted me, but not my brother here. We have almost identical numbers, by the way." The dean found Twin B's file, updated it to say ADMITTED, and handed him admissions info on the spot.
Last edited by fl0w on Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BruceBarr

Bronze

Post by BruceBarr » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:38 pm

How did she meet with them? Just show up and say "whats up?"? Call and schedule meeting? Did she meet with anyone in particular?

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:40 pm

rw2264 wrote:letter of continued interest. follow up every few weeks.
How would you recommend following up? I have sent a few LOCI's to some schools and can't figure out what else to say!

23fulltimecowboys

New

Post by 23fulltimecowboys » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:40 pm

rw2264 wrote:letter of continued interest. follow up every few weeks.
did this work for you, blackflag?

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:41 pm

fl0w wrote:
fonzerelli wrote:

I don't see how that's suspect (unless you were just saying it's suspect that the friend didn't attend in the end). But, if anything, that's smart. It shows dedication and a desire to attend.

Two of my friends are twin brothers and they both attended the same law school. Initially one was accepted and one was not. After finding this out they both went to visit the school together and twin A said to the dean of admissions "You accepted me, but not my brother here. We have almost identical numbers, by the way." The dean found Twin B's file, updated it to say ADMITTED, and handed him admissions info on the spot.

Nice - this is good info.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ConsideringLawSchool

Bronze

Post by ConsideringLawSchool » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:42 pm

fonzerelli wrote:I haven't been placed on an WL's yet... but I made some pretty far reaches in terms of apps that I suspect may result in a few.

Question: What has worked in getting off the dreaded WL? Supplemental essay? Requesting and interview? Emails? Calls? Bribes? (Joking) Who has successfully kicked the WL monster in the face and emerged victorious? Please share. This could be useful advice for many in the coming weeks/months.
I don't know much about LS waitlists specifically, but I think that the strategy would be the same as it is for getting a job, college admissions, a volunteer position... professional persistence.

My current job... I applied. Heard nothing. Followed up with a phone call, then another phone call. Got an interview. Went to the interview. Sent a thank-you card. Heard nothing. Called, was told that they'd be getting back to me. Still nothing. Called again. Still nothing. Sent an e-mail saying (in a more polite way) "I would very much like this job, but I am not going to sit around waiting any longer. Either give me the job or I am taking a different job." Two days later, got a second round interview. Sent a thank you note. Couple days later, got the job...

Do I have any qualifications? No. I believe I got the job, in part, because one component of it is advocacy and they were convinced I knew how to advocate...

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:45 pm

You won't be able to get off through force of will or obsessing about it. Just relax and let it happen.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:48 pm

Q: How to GET OFF the waitlist

A: Did you try this?

:mrgreen:

mchrop10

New

Post by mchrop10 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:56 pm

Do LOCI's have to go to LSAC or can you submit them via snail-mail?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:57 pm

Kohinoor wrote:You won't be able to get off through force of will or obsessing about it. Just relax and let it happen.

that's what she said? (couldn't resist it)

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:58 pm

The best way off is to withdraw

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:13 pm

Oban wrote:The best way off is to withdraw
He'll have a hard time getting off if he withdraws early. It's gonna be a sticky situation, but he definitely has to stay in there.

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:15 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
He'll have a hard time getting off if he withdraws early. It's gonna be a sticky situation, but he definitely has to stay in there.
TIT(cr)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

emoticons777

Bronze

Post by emoticons777 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:23 pm

mchrop10 wrote:Do LOCI's have to go to LSAC or can you submit them via snail-mail?
Snail mail

Also, I got in off the waitlist at a school when I did not send any additional information, and showed no interest. They just happened to need someone with a high GPA, and that was me. This is also after there was a "waitlisted students" day, which quite a few people attended, but I did not. On the other hand, the school I sent a few LOCIs to and did the normal follow up did not show any interest (until the week I started school somewhere else).

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:27 pm

Oh you guys... you have me reading something inappropriate into every single post.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:47 pm

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:
fonzerelli wrote:I haven't been placed on an WL's yet... but I made some pretty far reaches in terms of apps that I suspect may result in a few.

I don't know much about LS waitlists specifically, but I think that the strategy would be the same as it is for getting a job, college admissions, a volunteer position... professional persistence.

My current job... I applied. Heard nothing. Followed up with a phone call, then another phone call. Got an interview. Went to the interview. Sent a thank-you card. Heard nothing. Called, was told that they'd be getting back to me. Still nothing. Called again. Still nothing. Sent an e-mail saying (in a more polite way) "I would very much like this job, but I am not going to sit around waiting any longer. Either give me the job or I am taking a different job." Two days later, got a second round interview. Sent a thank you note. Couple days later, got the job...

Do I have any qualifications? No. I believe I got the job, in part, because one component of it is advocacy and they were convinced I knew how to advocate...

Well, that's pretty encouraging. I've applied to 17 schools. 6 are reaches, 8 are middlers, and 3 are safeties. I'm expecting at least 3 WLs from the middlers and possibly the reaches, assuming at least one school the latter doesn't reject me outright.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:32 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:Q: How to GET OFF the waitlist

A: Did you try this?

Unbeatable classic FTW.

An "auto-admit" of sorts.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:34 pm

Kohinoor wrote:You won't be able to get off through force of will or obsessing about it. Just relax and let it happen.
Kohinoor wrote:
I love where this thread is going.

kareenak888

New

Post by kareenak888 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:43 pm

One of my friends got waitlisted ED (this year)...she applied the first day they accept ED applicants 9/01 and got off it early in oct.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:10 pm

fonzerelli wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
TIT(cr)
:mrgreen:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”