GW for IP or Emory? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zreinhar

Bronze

GW for IP or Emory?

Post by zreinhar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:52 am

I am originally from Atlanta and will be taking the Feb LSAT. I have called both schools and they are holding my app until that score is made available. Considering I get in to both, and get no money (late app) which would be better? My undergrad is EE. I know it seems obvious to go with GW, but considering the movement Emory is making up the ranking and their commitment to continue throwing money at people with high 160s, should I look more into Emory?

holydonkey

Silver

Re: GW for IP or Emory?

Post by holydonkey » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:01 am

zreinhar wrote:I am originally from Atlanta and will be taking the Feb LSAT. I have called both schools and they are holding my app until that score is made available. Considering I get in to both, and get no money (late app) which would be better? My undergrad is EE. I know it seems obvious to go with GW, but considering the movement Emory is making up the ranking and their commitment to continue throwing money at people with high 160s, should I look more into Emory?
Really think you should wait to see if you get $ to make a decision. GW and Emory are both great schools (I'm applying to both), so this would be a major factor in my decision. COL is much lower in Atlanta, but I would argue that DC is a more interesting city. Emory would be great for the Atlanta market. GW does ok in DC after Georgetown/UVA. GW in DC is probably worth more than Emory in DC. Emory in South is worth a lot more than GW in South. Elsewhere - ???

DavidYurman85

Bronze

Post by DavidYurman85 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:09 am

With an EE degree, hands-down, GW!

zreinhar

Bronze

Post by zreinhar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:20 am

Yeah, Im leaning a little more towards GW for DC (change of scenery, whereas Im in Atlanta now) and if I can get a job as a patent agent prior to law school maybe I can go to DC part-time to get some good WE prior to graduating so I won't have to worry about debt and stuff as much

DavidYurman85

Bronze

Post by DavidYurman85 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:40 am

zreinhar wrote:Yeah, Im leaning a little more towards GW for DC (change of scenery, whereas Im in Atlanta now) and if I can get a job as a patent agent prior to law school maybe I can go to DC part-time to get some good WE prior to graduating so I won't have to worry about debt and stuff as much

OP: pm'd you

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

billy mitchell

New

Post by billy mitchell » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:44 am

Emory has the TI:GER program with Georgia Tech MBAs and PhDs. You can find what you want with IP most anywhere. GW is just going to have more classes to choose from etc.

zreinhar

Bronze

Post by zreinhar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:15 pm

billy mitchell wrote:Emory has the TI:GER program with Georgia Tech MBAs and PhDs. You can find what you want with IP most anywhere. GW is just going to have more classes to choose from etc.
Yeah, I brought that up at the Atlanta LSAC forum and mentioned it in my PS. I just really like the idea of working as a patent agent while I go to law school and then graduating makin over 200k and having those years count towards partnership. That and DC is quite the vibrant city. That and the fact that I wont need to take out nearly as much in loans because I can pay for alot of it myself (or luck out and get a firm with tuition reimbursement.)

rocross1

Bronze

Post by rocross1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:28 pm

zreinhar wrote:
billy mitchell wrote:Emory has the TI:GER program with Georgia Tech MBAs and PhDs. You can find what you want with IP most anywhere. GW is just going to have more classes to choose from etc.
Yeah, I brought that up at the Atlanta LSAC forum and mentioned it in my PS. I just really like the idea of working as a patent agent while I go to law school and then graduating makin over 200k and having those years count towards partnership. That and DC is quite the vibrant city. That and the fact that I wont need to take out nearly as much in loans because I can pay for alot of it myself (or luck out and get a firm with tuition reimbursement.)
Let me know when you find this job, because I like the sound of it.

zreinhar

Bronze

Post by zreinhar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:40 pm

You havent heard of patent agent exp counting towards partnership? hell you can be a partner as just an agent (making considerably less than those lawyer-folk) But yeah, I have spoken to numerous patent attorneys who said their exp as an agent counted towards partnership, it also lets you apply to the jobs that ask for "two years exp prosecuting patents" obivoulsy for a litigating firm you can do any of the aforementioned, but for prep and pro firms you can. (not talking BigLaw)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

billy mitchell

New

Post by billy mitchell » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:04 pm

zreinhar wrote:You havent heard of patent agent exp counting towards partnership? hell you can be a partner as just an agent (making considerably less than those lawyer-folk) But yeah, I have spoken to numerous patent attorneys who said their exp as an agent counted towards partnership, it also lets you apply to the jobs that ask for "two years exp prosecuting patents" obivoulsy for a litigating firm you can do any of the aforementioned, but for prep and pro firms you can. (not talking BigLaw)
I agree with your GW strategy if your goal is to gain work experience and manage costs. I thought from your title you were making the decision based on best for IP.

Minor point: I don't believe you can be a partner as an agent.

Connelly

Bronze

Post by Connelly » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:40 pm

Are you applying to GSU as a safety? If you're going the PT route, it would allow you to stay in Atlanta. Consider $1547 per credit hour at GW vs. $429 at GSU ($140k for 4 years versus $38k). You might even get a little PT money at GSU. Just a thought. I'd probably lean towards trying to get a job in DC and going PT up there somewhere.

zreinhar

Bronze

Post by zreinhar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:55 pm

billy mitchell wrote:
zreinhar wrote:You havent heard of patent agent exp counting towards partnership? hell you can be a partner as just an agent (making considerably less than those lawyer-folk) But yeah, I have spoken to numerous patent attorneys who said their exp as an agent counted towards partnership, it also lets you apply to the jobs that ask for "two years exp prosecuting patents" obivoulsy for a litigating firm you can do any of the aforementioned, but for prep and pro firms you can. (not talking BigLaw)
I agree with your GW strategy if your goal is to gain work experience and manage costs. I thought from your title you were making the decision based on best for IP.

Minor point: I don't believe you can be a partner as an agent.
I could def be wrong and maybe heard partner-level? I digress... The reason for comparison is that from the people I spoke to and the stuff I have read is that generally speaking you want to get into the best school possible ad go from there as far as your concentration. I also know the recent rankings slip for GW isn't all that telling because they just simply included the PT stuff.
Connelly wrote:Are you applying to GSU as a safety? If you're going the PT route, it would allow you to stay in Atlanta. Consider $1547 per credit hour at GW vs. $429 at GSU ($140k for 4 years versus $38k). You might even get a little PT money at GSU. Just a thought. I'd probably lean towards trying to get a job in DC and going PT up there somewhere.
I am applying to GSU as a safety and for the aforementioned reasons, I just would like a higher ranked school, primarily for the reason that I turned down a high ranked school for my undergrad (Ga Tech for a state school) so I am somehwat missing that whole "prestige" thing, plus I think a good law school would make up for my less than known undergrad...

EDIT: I dont think GSU really gives out money in general, especially for PT

Connelly

Bronze

Post by Connelly » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:17 pm

zreinhar wrote:
I am applying to GSU as a safety and for the aforementioned reasons, I just would like a higher ranked school, primarily for the reason that I turned down a high ranked school for my undergrad (Ga Tech for a state school) so I am somehwat missing that whole "prestige" thing, plus I think a good law school would make up for my less than known undergrad...

I think the money for full-time is pretty good, but part-time money has traditionally been very scarce. Great candidates seem to only get about $1000/year. The only significant PT money has gone to students who CALI'd first year courses, but that's obviously not worth counting on. With the inclusion of PT students in the rankings, there might be more available, but maybe not. The savings would primarily be in tuition ($100k+).

I would also suggest a higher-ranked school in case you find out you don't want to do patent law. But it's good to know that you're considering GSU as a fall-back.

zreinhar

Bronze

Post by zreinhar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:42 pm

Connelly wrote:
zreinhar wrote:

I think the money for full-time is pretty good, but part-time money has traditionally been very scarce. Great candidates seem to only get about $1000/year. The only significant PT money has gone to students who CALI'd first year courses, but that's obviously not worth counting on. With the inclusion of PT students in the rankings, there might be more available, but maybe not. The savings would primarily be in tuition ($100k+).

I would also suggest a higher-ranked school in case you find out you don't want to do patent law. But it's good to know that you're considering GSU as a fall-back.

I actually have experience in patent law and know that I enjoy it (believe it or not, the intersection of technology and law does it for me) and I think I would enjoy patent litigation as well. Also, if I am going part time Im not as worried about tuition, I'll throw some of my own money at it and take out some in loans, kind of like a personal scholarship. Either way, I'm PTing at scores that are good enough for Gtown part time and on a bad day I could do GW part time (hopefully not too bad) Im around 165, and still have alot of room for improvement (-9 or so on LR and -6 on RC) so I'l probably change my GULC app to just part time, and then do GW part time for an "in-case"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”