Evidence that applying late hurts chances? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Evidence that applying late hurts chances?

Post by DanInALionsDen » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:50 pm

Just wondering. I've done a fair bit of research, and from what I can see in the T14, only Dean Tom (Berkeley) outright states that a late application hurts an applicants chances, while over at Northwestern, they make a point of saying the opposite. Besides these two, is it just conjecture? Are people assuming that because admissions are rolling, and there will be "fewer spots" by Jan-Feb, that this will lessen ones odds? That sort of logic seems potentially flawed to me.

Pearalegal

Silver

Re: Evidence that applying late hurts chances?

Post by Pearalegal » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:55 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:Are people assuming that because admissions are rolling, and there will be "fewer spots" by Jan-Feb, that this will lessen ones odds? That sort of logic seems potentially flawed to me.
Well...there will be fewer spots. That means those remaining will get more and more competitive. I don't really see how this is something you can really argue.

If you have the numbers, you have the numbers...but if you're more boarderline, applying earlier gives you a better chance, simply because if they really like your application, the school can maintain/boost its medians with later applicants. However, they still might hold you as long as they want.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:56 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:while over at Northwestern, they make a point of saying the opposite.
I wasn't aware of this. Sounds great to me. 8)

j.wellington

Bronze

Post by j.wellington » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:44 pm

I've wondered how much rolling admissions really affect those of us who are right in the middle. As I understand it, if you're not an auto-admit or an auto-reject, they'll typically put off a decision on you until later in the cycle anyway. So if you apply in October with so-so stats, they won't really act on your app until February or so, putting you in the same boat as a December applicant with similar numbers. Am I completely wrong about this?

Lonagan

Bronze

Post by Lonagan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:55 pm

Where did NW say you are better off applying later?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:00 pm

j.wellington wrote:I've wondered how much rolling admissions really affect those of us who are right in the middle. As I understand it, if you're not an auto-admit or an auto-reject, they'll typically put off a decision on you until later in the cycle anyway. So if you apply in October with so-so stats, they won't really act on your app until February or so, putting you in the same boat as a December applicant with similar numbers. Am I completely wrong about this?
TITCR.

clwilson6

Bronze

Post by clwilson6 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:08 pm

So, if that is the case, if I had applied to Boston College with below median LSAT scores in late October, it would have been the same as applying with median scores in January because the number of seats available would have changed and competition would be tougher.

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Post by lawschooliseasy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:17 pm

Do you think applying late hurts your chances at scholarships if you have strong numbers?

wreckem

New

Post by wreckem » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:26 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:Do you think applying late hurts your chances at scholarships if you have strong numbers?
In most instances I'd say yes. But it depends on what you mean by late. A lot of schools blow the $$$ load in Dec and early Jan.

Now if you have really good numbers for the school theres a really small chance they might throw a scholarship your way in late(april/may/june) in the cycle to try and get you to go there(so they can pad their numbers).

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:28 pm

j.wellington wrote:I've wondered how much rolling admissions really affect those of us who are right in the middle. As I understand it, if you're not an auto-admit or an auto-reject, they'll typically put off a decision on you until later in the cycle anyway. So if you apply in October with so-so stats, they won't really act on your app until February or so, putting you in the same boat as a December applicant with similar numbers. Am I completely wrong about this?
Depends on what you consider "right in the middle." If you're above both medians, you're probably OK regardless of when you submit. A reverse splitter, OTOH, would probably want to submit as early as possible.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”