How many PS's are you tailoring? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Flanker1067

Silver

How many PS's are you tailoring?

Post by Flanker1067 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:28 pm

I have a selection of 14 schools, all of which I could see myself at, hence why I am applying. Because the list is large, I simply cannot tailor every essay or write a "why X?" for each one. So my question:

What % of your schools did you tailor your application for? Did you notice more positive responses for the ones you did?

Neelio

Silver

Re: How many PS's are you tailoring?

Post by Neelio » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:31 pm

50%

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:34 pm

I feel like that is pretty fair, I think I will end up doing 6 or 7. I have tailored 2 of 3 that are already out. (Plus Berkeley practically requires one and Penn literally does.)

Cale39

New

Post by Cale39 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:43 pm

reapplying in 2010 I will be tailoring almost all considering I will have so much time available. To me, tailoring consists of 2-5 lines talking about something very specific to that law school or meeting with an admissions rep at a law school fair.

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:45 pm

made one shorter for a length requirement. the rest are identical. never visited any of the law school campuses i'm applying to (though i've been to most of their corresponding UG institutions) so i didn't have much to say, and it really didn't fit with my PS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:47 pm

Didn't tailor any (but it really wouldn't have worked with my PS). Doesn't seem to be causing any problems.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:47 pm

0% Just write the Why X essay in addition.

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:49 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:I have a selection of 14 schools, all of which I could see myself at, hence why I am applying. Because the list is large, I simply cannot tailor every essay or write a "why X?" for each one. So my question:

What % of your schools did you tailor your application for? Did you notice more positive responses for the ones you did?
I wrote 2 essays -- one that I used as my PS for all schools except NYU. Then a second "diversity statement," I added to half my apps, and used as my PS for NYU in order to use my first to apply for their public interest scholarships. I didn't write a single "why X school" essay.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:54 pm

maggiebre wrote:Didn't tailor any (but it really wouldn't have worked with my PS). Doesn't seem to be causing any problems.

If you don't mind could you say where you got in and #'s. I am just interested to know if I am wasting time tailoring.

Also, this is good input. It only kind of fits with my ps, but I said tailoring your APPLICATION, in order to include for "Why X?" essays.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:58 pm

you could very well be wasting your time... if you're just throwing the school's name in at the end and mentioning a program you read about online (unless it is perfectly in line with your demonstrated interests) its probably not worth the time. just write "Why x" essays in addition, if they have them

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:58 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:
maggiebre wrote:Didn't tailor any (but it really wouldn't have worked with my PS). Doesn't seem to be causing any problems.

If you don't mind could you say where you got in and #'s. I am just interested to know if I am wasting time tailoring.

Also, this is good input. It only kind of fits with my ps, but I said tailoring your APPLICATION, in order to include for "Why X?" essays.
My LSN is linked in my profile for numbers and acceptances (173/3.9).

And sorry, it said PS in the topic, I must have overlooked the application part. I did send a Why X for schools that requested one (Penn & Mich), and sent a belated one to UVA because I got worried about YP. Other than that I didn't do anything, though.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:00 pm

Ahh ok, well your #'s speak for themselves. Mine are good but not that good.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:07 pm

rw2264 wrote:you could very well be wasting your time... if you're just throwing the school's name in at the end and mentioning a program you read about online (unless it is perfectly in line with your demonstrated interests) its probably not worth the time. just write "Why x" essays in addition, if they have them

Well I have work experience in financial services and have written a ps on that experience and an interest in securities law. So, some schools do have journals and clinics that could benefit from that experience, but I definately think I am stretching too far on one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ps494

Bronze

Post by ps494 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:10 pm

I would really like to tailor my PS to each school, but I have no room left. How can you adequately write a PS short enough that would allow room for a discussion about the school?

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:19 pm

ps494 wrote:I would really like to tailor my PS to each school, but I have no room left. How can you adequately write a PS short enough that would allow room for a discussion about the school?

Well for example, on one I said something like "I am looking forward to being a part of this unique clinic that I believe I can contribute meaningfully to because of my experience", in a short paragraph at the end. Is that bad?

ps494

Bronze

Post by ps494 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:00 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:
ps494 wrote:I would really like to tailor my PS to each school, but I have no room left. How can you adequately write a PS short enough that would allow room for a discussion about the school?

Well for example, on one I said something like "I am looking forward to being a part of this unique clinic that I believe I can contribute meaningfully to because of my experience", in a short paragraph at the end. Is that bad?
I guess I've always considered a targeted PS to have a short paragraph and not just a couple lines.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”