MA program before law school Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
inthefuture

New

MA program before law school

Post by inthefuture » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:19 pm

Hello All,
I am considering to enroll in an additional year of studies to receive my masters in economics before I apply to law school. 2 questions.

First, will the grades I receive in my 5th year (masters program) be considered as part of my undergraduate GPA when I apply to law schools?

Second, if I do enroll in this masters program, should I wait to take the LSAT after, or should I take it during and apply to law school the year after?

Thanks !

WhyBother?

Bronze

Re: MA program before law school

Post by WhyBother? » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:23 pm

I also did a 5th year MA, and your grades from that program are not counted in your LSDAS GPA (unfortunately, for me). As for when you should take the LSAT, take it when you can be completely prepared. I took it when I was very busy, but I still made time to study and scored in the 99th percentile. I don't think you need TONS of time if you study smart and efficiently. That said, I never went to grad school for economics, so if you are truly swamped, you would definitely be better off waiting.

Good luck!

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:24 pm

1) The grades will NOT be considered part of your GPA. However, if you rock out a 4.0, it certainly will not hurt.
2) Just take the LSAT whenever you have the most time to prepare. (Perhaps following the summer after the master's program)

inthefuture

New

Post by inthefuture » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:31 pm

Thank you for your help,

Also, if I take the LSAT this June, is their a certain limit of time I have before I can apply to law school with my June LSAT score? Or once I take the LSAT I can use the score whenever I choose?

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:36 pm

In most cases you can use the score for 5 years.

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:37 pm

LSAT scores are valid (and WILL be submitted with your application) for 5 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”