EDIT: LA Times Editorial: ABA treating you like cheap hooker Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
flcath

Silver

Re: EDIT: LA Times Editorial: ABA treating you like cheap hooker

Post by flcath » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:13 am

swheat wrote:
swheat wrote:
flcath wrote:
swheat wrote: Nobody gives a rat's ass
???

That would make sense coming from any other poster here, but you were the one that brought up the topic in the first place. Whenever this topic comes up, parallels are invariably drawn to the AMA and why they manage to do what the ABA doesn't and thus keep their profession solvent/respectable. You then attempted to discredit these comparisons by offering an inappropriate analogy, which I then attempted to point out was uninformed.
It makes perfect sense. You are a nitpicking pedant.
Okay, so, according to you: your comparison WAS appropriate, law HAS maintained the same degree of professional quality as medicine, it DOES provide the same same job security and compensation medians (if you want to adjust for the increased amount of education for MDs, fine), and everyone on this board in fact DOES see droves of unemployed physicians in this country every single day, and reads op-ed pieces about the over-abundance of MDs in America.

I don't think that you think that's the case. Obviously somewhere in between what you said and what reality is, the AMA/AAMC is employing some "pedantic" standards to keep themselves in high demand.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:24 am

swheat wrote:
It makes perfect sense. You are a nitpicking pedant.
[/quote]
Okay, so, according to you: your comparison WAS appropriate, law HAS maintained the same degree of professional quality as medicine, it DOES provide the same same job security and compensation medians (if you want to adjust for the increased amount of education for MDs, fine), and everyone on this board in fact DOES see droves of unemployed physicians in this country every single day, and reads op-ed pieces about the over-abundance of MDs in America.

I don't think that you think that's the case. Obviously somewhere in between what you said and what reality is, the AMA/AAMC is employing some "pedantic" standards to keep themselves in high demand.[/quote]

No. According to me, the ABA does not have the same ability to limit supply of lawyers as the AMA has to limit the supply of doctors. That was my main point, which you clearly missed. My comment about DOs and Caribbean med schools was just an afterthought. As far as I know there may be like 5 caribbean med schools and like 15 DO schools. I don't know where you got the idea that I think these are saturating the medical market.

I don't think you know what the word pedantic means.

stateofbeasley

New

Post by stateofbeasley » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:45 am

awesomepossum wrote:What I'm trying to say is that if people aren't responsible consumers, then they are responsible as well. They aren't just victims...they're part of the problem.

It's not really one or the other. Both can be to blame.
I agree with this.

In the time I have been a member of this forum, I've seen far too many threads with law school applicants who carelessly dismiss or downplay the generally poor return-on-investment that private TTT law schools provide.

Undergraduates need to know the truth: There are too many law schools and too many law graduates chasing too few jobs.

It's BAD when even document review jobs, once considered bottom-of-the-barrel work that only the desperate would take, are now highly competitive positions requiring experience.

At the same time, the law schools need to be held accountable for their misleading and deceptive career statistics. This practice of reporting "average" salaries on their websites has to end -- people need to know the reality -- that the pay for the majority of law graduates will be pretty low.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:13 am

I'm reconsidering

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:03 pm

Can someone link me to the draconian bylaws set down by the AMA? I went through the LCME site and it reads pretty much like the ABA accreditation requirements. tyia.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:04 pm

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:05 pm

YCrevolution wrote: Finally, there's always my favorite argument of substantive unconscionability. It's the magic panacea when all other arguments fail.
:oops:

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:06 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Can someone link me to the draconian bylaws set down by the AMA? I went through the LCME site and it reads pretty much like the ABA accreditation requirements. tyia.
You're supposed to give me a gold sticker for mentioning substantive unconscionability. :(
You struck too close to home! My final reads like a best hits of substantive unconscionability.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:09 pm

Borhas

Platinum

www.top-law-schools.com

Post by Borhas » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:05 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”