EDIT: LA Times Editorial: ABA treating you like cheap hooker Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
amputatedbrain

Bronze

EDIT: LA Times Editorial: ABA treating you like cheap hooker

Post by amputatedbrain » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:45 pm

Just thought the TLS community might find this interesting reading:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la- ... 7698.story
Last edited by amputatedbrain on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helmholtz

Gold

Re: LA Times Op-Ed on why law school is bad investment right now

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:47 pm

Title of thread does not match article.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:53 pm

I was distracted by the article about how Warren Beatty slept with 12,775 women.

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:54 pm

Pearalegal wrote:I was distracted by the article about how Warren Beatty slept with 12,775 women.
1 a day for 36 years? Impressive.

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:56 pm

<deleted>
Last edited by Space_Cowboy on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Romes5524

New

Re: EDIT: LA Times Editorial: ABA treating you like cheap hooker

Post by Romes5524 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:02 pm

lol the title is now fitting.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:03 pm

Didn't the ABA get sued last time it tried to bar a school from accreditation?

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:05 pm

<jumps up on soapbox>

For a school to have its students eligible for GradPLUS Loans, it should be required to report complete (at least 95+% response rate) and accurate salary data for the last five years' classes. If a school can't fulfill this very basic disclosure requirement while maintaining that it offers a very good investment, its students can go find private lenders willing to make money by financing this wonderful investment.

<jumps off>

ps494

Bronze

Post by ps494 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:06 pm

It is a good article, and it is just another reason for me to reconsider law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Romes5524

New

Post by Romes5524 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:07 pm

oh wait I thought the thread was about the American Basketball Association and how they treat athletes like crap????

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Didn't the ABA get sued last time it tried to bar a school from accreditation?
Yeah, I think so. I place much more blame on the craptastic TTT swindlers than I do the ABA.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:13 pm

shocking...

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:17 pm

Space_Cowboy wrote:<jumps up on soapbox>

For a school to have its students eligible for GradPLUS Loans, it should be required to report complete (at least 95+% response rate) and accurate salary data for the last five years' classes. If a school can't fulfill this very basic disclosure requirement while maintaining that it offers a very good investment, its students can go find private lenders willing to make money by financing this wonderful investment.

<jumps off>
Grats on shutting down 99% of the colleges and graduate schools in the country.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:26 pm

ntzsch wrote:"Taking into account retirements, deaths and that the bureau's data is pre-recession, the number of new positions is likely to be fewer than 30,000 per year. That is far fewer than what's needed to accommodate the 45,000 juris doctors graduating from U.S. law schools each year. "

So, 2/3 of J.D. grads are needed ITE?

this does not sound all that bad for someone at a T14 or T30 or T50, or even people with good ggrades basically anywhere, right? I mean, I guess the rub is that 2/3 of those 2/3 that are needed are needed for shitlaw?
Wonder what percentage of Pastry Chef grads are needed ITE

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:30 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

<jumps off>
Yes, because that is what will happen if law schools are required to disclose some very basic information.

Why law schools in particular, you ask? Outside of medical school and business school, no other programs have a high percentage of students borrowing in excess of $100k. Business schools actually present good salary data and I don't exactly blogs like "Big Debt Small Medicine" popping up.

dudester

Bronze

Post by dudester » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Space_Cowboy wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

<jumps off>
Yes, because that is what will happen if law schools are required to disclose some very basic information.

Why law schools in particular, you ask? Outside of medical school and business school, no other programs have a high percentage of students borrowing in excess of $100k. Business schools actually present good salary data and I don't exactly blogs like "Big Debt Small Medicine" popping up.
Um, you do know that it's not mandatory for grads to fill out the employment questionnaire, right?

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:50 pm

dudester wrote:
Space_Cowboy wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

<jumps off>

Um, you do know that it's not mandatory for grads to fill out the employment questionnaire, right?
Yes. I am quite aware of this. If grads don't want to fill out a survey (at graduation only), they don't have to. Report them as a earning $0. If students want to tank their school's ranking and the degree's value over the long term, whatever.

Right now, with freely available GradPLUS loans and IBR, there's ZERO incentive for law schools to not keep jacking up tuition. Providing data to allow people to make a sound decisions on the value of a $200k education seems like a small price to pay for receiving federal bailout funds.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:50 pm

It's not really like a cheap hooker, more like Eliot Sptizer-class.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:52 pm

Well it's supply and demand.

There are enough fucking losers who are inspired by these "I have an uncle/friend/uncle's friend who went to a T3 and made a bajillion dollars" that they attend these garbage law schools. Why wouldn't they keep opening law schools? They're probably cash cows.

I have no sympathy for those people. They get what they paid for.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:55 pm

awesomepossum wrote:Well it's supply and demand.

There are enough fucking losers who are inspired by these "I have an uncle/friend/uncle's friend who went to a T3 and made a bajillion dollars" that they attend these garbage law schools. Why wouldn't they keep opening law schools? They're probably cash cows.

I have sympathy for them. They've been lied to all their lives that higher education = big bucks. They see past results (eg - uncle who went to TTTT and earns bajillion bucks) and assume that future results will be the same for them. There is some kind of great cultural myth in America regarding higher education and that plus the easy availability of student loans leads to a borderline unconscionable situation, IMO.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:57 pm

The ones to blame are the crappy schools and the idiots that attend them. These T3 and T4 schools are nothing but diploma factories.

I will not be going to a T14 and making billions the day I graduate, but still, I believe there are opportunities out there for those who go to reputable, decently-ranked schools.
Last edited by kalvano on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:57 pm

swheat wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:Well it's supply and demand.

I have sympathy for them. They've been lied to all their lives that higher education = big bucks. They see past results (eg - uncle who went to TTTT and earns bajillion bucks) and assume that future results will be the same for them. There is some kind of great cultural myth in America regarding higher education and that plus the easy availability of student loans leads to a borderline unconscionable situation, IMO.

It's not like the information isn't out there. If people are stupid enough to fall for such an obvious con, that's their fault. It's like people who buy really really bad lottery tickets. Maybe there was a lure there, but if you're not an idiot, you can figure it out.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:00 pm

Why can't you make students sign something before they can graduate, saying, "I promise to faithfully report my income and employment data to this school nine months from the date of graduation". Make it binding. That way, you'd have everybody report.
Last edited by 84Sunbird2000 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dudester

Bronze

Post by dudester » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:01 pm

Space_Cowboy wrote:
dudester wrote:
Space_Cowboy wrote:

<jumps off>

Yes. I am quite aware of this. If grads don't want to fill out a survey (at graduation only), they don't have to. Report them as a earning $0. If students want to tank their school's ranking and the degree's value over the long term, whatever.

Right now, with freely available GradPLUS loans and IBR, there's ZERO incentive for law schools to not keep jacking up tuition. Providing data to allow people to make a sound decisions on the value of a $200k education seems like a small price to pay for receiving federal bailout funds.
How would fulfilling a 95% response rate requirement by reporting $0 earnings for people who could very well be making $160,000 provide "accurate" data? How does some students' inability to do basic math and draw proper inferences from the data schools provide become the government's business?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:02 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
It's not like the information isn't out there. If people are stupid enough to fall for such an obvious con, that's their fault. It's like people who buy really really bad lottery tickets. Maybe there was a lure there, but if you're not an idiot, you can figure it out.
Most people are idiots though. Sad but true. And if somebody doesn't save them from their idiocy, student loan debt will become the next subprime lending crisis.

At some point the whole country has to return to some semblance of financial sanity.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”