UVA eliminates/extends ED deadline Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NayBoer

Silver

Re: UVA eliminates/extends ED deadline

Post by NayBoer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:19 pm

GeePee wrote:If you get waitlisted at UVA you're pretty much guaranteed to not come off of it. I don't think they've accepted off the waitlist in about 3 cycles (it seems like they always overenroll)
Agreed, WL is death at UVA. I meant he may be coming off the NU waitlist, referring to this quote:
NayBoer wrote:Last summer several 175s with GPAs from low 3s downward were WL at NU until June. Just FYI.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:36 pm

dk8 wrote:IAFG, when did you go complete at UVA? I'm instate as well, similar GPA but with a 171, have had several status updates and seen instate applicants with lower numbers than me get accepted even though they went complete later than I did.

I'll probably fax the form tomorrow.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I was reading the UVA website weeks ago and saw that it listed the ED deadline as March, but disregarded it since the form on the LSAC website still listed a Dec. 15 deadline.
i went complete in December but asked to hold my file for Dec LSAT.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:05 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
whoknows12 wrote:Jaws did you just happen to read this or get some email or something?
I think im_blue gets credit for first discovering (last night) this change on the UVA website.
Haha, I didn't know that this little nugget of information would incite such a firestorm, but I found it while randomly browsing the admissions web site. I'm actually surprised that it wasn't caught earlier by TLS, if the change was indeed made in mid-December.
Last edited by im_blue on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:07 pm

thepunisher24 wrote:
GeePee wrote:If you get waitlisted at UVA you're pretty much guaranteed to not come off of it. I don't think they've accepted off the waitlist in about 3 cycles (it seems like they always overenroll)
This.
No.

I know someone who got off the waitlist last year and the year before. Remember, not everyone is on LSN.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:12 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
thepunisher24 wrote:
This.
No.

I know someone who got off the waitlist last year and the year before. Remember, not everyone is on LSN.
Dean Jason Trujillo wrote:We typically make at least several hundred wait list offers. In the years that I have been doing this, we have filled zero to more than 20 percent of the class via the wait list. So literally in some years I have made zero wait-list offers and one year I made 92. It’s crazy. You just can’t predict it and you have to be prepared. We try to release people from the wait list quickly when it become obvious we will not be able to offer them admission.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:13 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
thepunisher24 wrote:
This.
No.

Also, LSN does show off the WL acceptances.

But, yeah they do WL a lot off people, so your odds of coming are low, but that's true pretty much everywhere

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:15 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
thepunisher24 wrote:
This.
No.

Dean Jason Trujillo wrote:We typically make at least several hundred wait list offers. In the years that I have been doing this, we have filled zero to more than 20 percent of the class via the wait list. So literally in some years I have made zero wait-list offers and one year I made 92. It’s crazy. You just can’t predict it and you have to be prepared. We try to release people from the wait list quickly when it become obvious we will not be able to offer them admission.
Yes, thank you for pointing out the obvious for almost every school.

Notice I didn't say it was easy to get off, or something you should even remotely consider. All I said was that in the past two years, people have gotten off.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Pearalegal wrote: Yes, thank you for pointing out the obvious for almost every school.

Notice I didn't say it was easy to get off, or something you should even remotely consider. All I said was that in the past two years, people have gotten off.
I wasn't really providing that link to dispute anything you said, just thought it was a worthwhile addition to the speculation. Jesus, calm down, little defensive?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:28 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Pearalegal wrote: Yes, thank you for pointing out the obvious for almost every school.

I wasn't really providing that link to dispute anything you said, just thought it was a worthwhile addition to the speculation. Jesus, calm down, little defensive?
Well, you did post a quote that seems like it was attempting to be some sort of refute of what was said before without any explanation for the purpose.

But apologies. I've been sitting in my office for 3 hours, just waiting on an attorney to give me my damned assignment. Am cranky.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:39 pm

im_blue wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
whoknows12 wrote:Jaws did you just happen to read this or get some email or something?
I think im_blue gets credit for first discovering (last night) this change on the UVA website.
Haha, I didn't know that this little nugget of information would incite such a firestorm, but I found it while randomly browsing the admissions web site. I'm actually surprised that it wasn't caught earlier by TLS, if the change was indeed made in mid-December.

It was for sure. I remember reading it and thinking it was left up from last year or something. I just figured since it said Dec 15 on the actual form, Dec 15 was the real date.

I'm going to call them tomorrow and make sure.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:49 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Well, you did post a quote that seems like it was attempting to be some sort of refute of what was said before without any explanation for the purpose.

But apologies. I've been sitting in my office for 3 hours, just waiting on an attorney to give me my damned assignment. Am cranky.
S'ok, we're good.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:52 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
S'ok, we're good.
Thanks.

jj10

New

Post by jj10 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:41 pm

Under this new UVA ED deadline, if you have already received a decision, a WL, can you reapply ED? Do you think it would be of any boost to get off the WL?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:44 pm

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:45 pm

jj10 wrote:Under this new UVA ED deadline, if you have already received a decision, a WL, can you reapply ED? Do you think it would be of any boost to get off the WL?
It depends. If you're <170, <3.85, probably nothing could help you get off the waitlist. Otherwise, go for it.

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:58 pm

So I decided to take advantage of this, and I just submitted the ED contract this morning. It will arrive on Monday. So processing time + 15 days and I'll know where I stand.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:06 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:So I decided to take advantage of this, and I just submitted the ED contract this morning. It will arrive on Monday. So processing time + 15 days and I'll know where I stand.
Good luck.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sccjnthn

New

Post by sccjnthn » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:53 pm

I submitted mine this morning, can't wait to find out!

frix0803

Bronze

Post by frix0803 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:39 am

sent mine just now. will get there on monday. good luck to all who took the same course!

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:57 am

wait, so can someone on the uva waitlist actually re-apply ed? that would probably change the nature of its waitlist as effectively a soft rejection, no?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:59 am

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:29 pm

I didn't read this whole thread, but having some inside knowledge, I'd thought I'd share.

Applications are up at UVA, and this is not an attempt to get more (after all, how many people would pay to apply ED when they wouldn't have paid to apply RD? very few in very limited circumstances).

The real reason is this: Virginia loves applicants who express a strong desire to attend Virginia, and they often get requests from applicants after the ED deadline to permit them to bind themselves ED. Although it's called "early decision," there is no apparent reason to prevent applicants from binding themselves to your school if they wish, simply because you're later in the admissions cycle. Because applicants have expressed a desire to do so, and because Virginia has nothing to lose and only something to gain, why would they not?

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:36 pm

It just makes them seem shady/TTT.

Still happy to be admitted though! Thanks Cordel!

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:42 pm

showNprove wrote:I didn't read this whole thread, but having some inside knowledge, I'd thought I'd share.

Applications are up at UVA, and this is not an attempt to get more (after all, how many people would pay to apply ED when they wouldn't have paid to apply RD? very few in very limited circumstances).

The real reason is this: Virginia loves applicants who express a strong desire to attend Virginia, and they often get requests from applicants after the ED deadline to permit them to bind themselves ED. Although it's called "early decision," there is no apparent reason to prevent applicants from binding themselves to your school if they wish, simply because you're later in the admissions cycle. Because applicants have expressed a desire to do so, and because Virginia has nothing to lose and only something to gain, why would they not?
I hope more admissions office take this view.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:50 pm

booboo wrote:
showNprove wrote:I didn't read this whole thread, but having some inside knowledge, I'd thought I'd share.

I hope more admissions office take this view.
WHAT? This is where this ED crap becomes problematic. Imagine all of the t4-14 doing this and then only wanting to let students in who ED “It appears UVA is already doing this by just ignoring non-ed applications currently.” So what would probably happen if all schools do it? Students who suspect they won’t get into HYS would ED to the school ranked 4 if rejected or deferred then apply ED to 5 then 6 then 7 then 8… until they finally get into their “top” choice. This is horrible and stupid, because it would make students who didn’t want to ED anywhere have to wait forever. To avoid this students who wouldn't ED would then ED to avoid the stress. Setting up a vicious cycle.

This is crappier then waitlists. This ED setup helps the school at the expense of the students. And if you expect it to greatly help UVA that is incorrect in the long run, because all the other schools will do it if it works slightly well for UVA.

EDIT: put in more of why this is horrible.
Last edited by Unitas on Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”