UVA eliminates/extends ED deadline Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jawsthegreat

Silver

UVA eliminates/extends ED deadline

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:49 am

The deadline is now listed as March 1. If you missed the ED deadline and want to up your chances you now have that opportunity.

From the website:

Early Decision option: There is no separate deadline for Early Decision applications. An applicant who originally applied under the regular decision guidelines may choose to apply under the Early Decision option by submitting the early decision agreement to the Office of Admissions. Early Decision applicants will be notified of their decision no later than 15 days after all the following criteria have been met: the application for admission is complete, the early decision agreement has been received and residency status has been determined. More on Early Decision

Edit for link: (Scroll down about 1/4 of the page)
http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospectives/faqs.htm
Last edited by jawsthegreat on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Re: UVA eliminates/extends ED deadline

Post by Space_Cowboy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:51 am

This is fucking awesome!

Hear that Big Blue? Time to come through for me! :D

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:52 am

WOW. This means that people's predictions about this admissions cycle must have been off.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:52 am

Wow... I wonder what prompted this change. :?

Are apps down at UVA?

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:52 am

this seems incredibly unfair to kids with competitive stats who locked themselves in around sept and oct. i guess it would have been nicer of them to have made this change before the cycle began.
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:53 am

kurama20 wrote:WOW. This means that people's predictions about this admissions cycle must have been off.
In what way?

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:53 am

kurama20 wrote:WOW. This means that people's predictions about this admissions cycle must have been off.
Yea I agree but I am struggling with how they might be off. Care to enlighten me?

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:54 am

talibkweli wrote:this seems incredibly unfair to kids with competitive stats who locked themselves in around sept and oct. i guess it would have been nicer of them to have made this change before the cycle began.
In theory only ED at your first choice, but yeah ... that's theory. Sucks for people who would have liked to have seen if they had a shot at money at Michigan or something.

Trifles

Bronze

Post by Trifles » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:54 am

CE2JD wrote:Wow... I wonder what prompted this change. :?

Are apps down at UVA?
I think UVA is for sure trying to get more applicants, I got a fee waiver from them as a non-URM with a sub-3.0 GPA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:54 am

talibkweli wrote:this seems incredibly unfair to kids with competitive stats who locked themselves in around sept and oct. i guess it would have been nicer of them to have made this change before the cycle began.
Yea, I am one of those kids. I applied ED to UVA w/ pretty good stats, and while I am still thrilled to be attending such a great school it kinda sucks that I could have waited and extra 4 months to see how my cycle played out.

Though UVA was my number 1 choice outside of HYS so I can't really complain.
Last edited by jawsthegreat on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:55 am

Trifles wrote:
CE2JD wrote:Wow... I wonder what prompted this change. :?

Are apps down at UVA?
I think UVA is for sure trying to get more applicants, I got a fee waiver from them as a non-URM with a sub-3.0 GPA.
O RLY

This is interesting...

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:55 am

apps are down, now UVA's whoring themselves out to the fresh DecLSAT-taking anxiety prone people

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:55 am

jawsthegreat wrote:
Yea I agree but I am struggling with how they might be off. Care to enlighten me?
Locked in too many 170s when it looks like could have gone for a 171 median?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bluejayk

Bronze

Post by bluejayk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:56 am

Interesting. Next year they should change the name to "Quick Decision" or something like that.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:56 am

Helmholtz wrote:
apps are down, now UVA's whoring themselves out to the fresh DecLSAT-taking anxiety prone people
Oh UVA... always such a whore.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:56 am

Looks like they are just trying to squeeze money and yield out of insecure RD applicants (such as myself) who they have already strung along for 2-3 months without a word.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:57 am

Helmholtz wrote:
When I spoke to Trujillo/Dugas they both told me that apps were way up. This is very interesting.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:57 am

Helmholtz wrote:

i think they made this change specifically in order to try and reel me in w/o a scholly. i've been known to have a panic attack or two.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:57 am

dakatz wrote:Looks like they are just trying to squeeze money and yield out of insecure RD applicants (such as myself) who they have already strung along for 2-3 months without a word.
If that is the goal it is going to work.

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:58 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Not the worst idea. Hopefully this pressures other schools to render decisions before March or watch T14-or-killself people ED to UVA around the deadline.

EDIT: I might be one of these people.

sam.emton

New

Post by sam.emton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:59 am

Agreed - it's like a binding version of Duke's PT.

This is definitely not fair to me - I've been waiting for over 3 months for a decision. My stats are above their 75ths but it's one of my top choices and I haven't heard anything. I would ED, but I really need $$$ to select them over some of my acceptances. Do you think late EDs have any shot at good scholarship $$$? Will this hurt RD applicants waiting for a decision?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:59 am

its like uva is playing a giant game of chicken with its rd applicants.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:59 am

Space_Cowboy wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Not the worst idea. Hopefully this pressures other schools to render decisions before March or watch T14-or-killself people ED to UVA around the deadline.

EDIT: I might be one of these people.
I would have considered it a couple of weeks ago and I'm not even that crazy about them.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:00 am

jawsthegreat wrote:
No I'm with you. The cycle is obviously different from what people expected, but I'm just not exactly sure how. I'm with talib too, if it wasn't for the fact that the only schools I would have picked over UVA were HYS, and I had not shot at those schools, I'd be pissed right now.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:00 am

Trujillo is such a maverick. What is he up to now? Essentially he's playing a giant game of chicken with other law schools. Now other law schools will have crappier yields from people who apply regular decision knowing they're basically a lock for UVA ED.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”