Really Nervous...Arrests Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Foosters Galore

Bronze

Really Nervous...Arrests

Post by Foosters Galore » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:55 pm

hey guys. I have a quick question about something that is really bothering me. So about 5-7 years ago I received several MIP (minor in pos. of alcohol) and one public intoxication. Really no big deal, but I have no idea when they happened, and cant remeber exactly what I did as punishment (fines, class, community service etc.) I did a background check through a company that we use at work, but nothing showed up. I dont want to lie, and have no intention of leaving them off, but as of now I can only vaguely pinpoint what year they happened (could be wrong on that too). Should I just explain this to them? Any and all help appreciated.

S de Garmeaux

Bronze

Re: Really Nervous...Arrests

Post by S de Garmeaux » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:57 pm

how many is several? how do you keep getting caught?

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:58 pm

two. havent had a run in with the law in 5+ yrs. Plus I'm sober now, a fact the schools will be aware of.

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:00 pm

you have to disclose everything, if you received underage drinking tickets the ABA will find out.

IHaveDietMoxie

Bronze

Post by IHaveDietMoxie » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:00 pm

Don't worry, I just watched L & O: SVU. Everything's going to be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:02 pm

Yes, I know. My question wasn't whether or not I should disclose them, but rather what should I put since I have no information about the infractions. Just list the infractions and include a period of time they may have happened in?

ex.

MIP, Des Moines, Iowa (January 2003-January 2004)

see what I mean?

thewolfandpeter

New

Post by thewolfandpeter » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:05 pm

By law you are not required to report infractions, only felonies

Neelio

Silver

Post by Neelio » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:05 pm

I think as long as you disclose them you will be fine... if they need more detail, they will come back to you.

OrcinusOrcas

New

Post by OrcinusOrcas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:06 pm

Call or check with the county courthouses of where the incidents happened; they should have the dates, fines, etc. Some get wiped from the record after a certain number of years, but it will depend on a number of things (location, etc). The background check might have only checked for felonies. Disclose to law schools only where applications ask for it, which most of them do in the Character and Fitness sections. Each application will specify what they want; maybe everything from speeding tickets to felonies, or maybe just what they define as "serious misdemeanors". If all else fails, call the law school(s) you're applying to ask ask what you'll need to do. When you go to take the Bar in your state they'll look up things like this and make sure you answered the questions on your law school apps/disclosed appropriately.

It's a pain, but I had a misdemeanor ticket where I had to do all of that, and the above is the advice I got from my father-in-law (who is a judge).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:41 pm

I had a misdemeanor and my addendum went something like this:

Charge: x
Details: Whether charges were dropped or not, what you had to do for punishment (pay fines, community service, etc)
Charges dropped on: Date
Case #:

Do this for each charge.

I also added a paragraph about how I've matured and take full responsibility for my actions, etc.

You can call the courthouse and request that they send you the dispositions for your records. The dispositions should list all or most of the details. They might charge you a few bucks but it's well worth it. I faxed all the schools my disposition so there were no questions about what happened. You should be fine.

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:59 pm

I have the same problem. I know that one was in Watsonville, CA in the summer of 2000 (don't know the date exactly). The other was in the summer of 2001 and I don't even know what county. I know I was picked up in Big Sur, so San Jose or Marin County I'm thinking. And I can't remember either whether it was Minor in Possession or Public Intoxication.

So I don't think you have to be that nervous. Me on the otherhand... :oops:

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:02 pm

Big A:

whats your plan? I'm thinking honesty might be the best policy. Tell them everything I can remember and then tell them that I am not trying to be vague and if they need more info I will gladly retrieve it for them....thats all i got...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:04 pm

IHaveDietMoxie wrote:Don't worry, I just watched L & O: SVU. Everything's going to be fine.
Did OP get drunk then get accused of a Sex Crime? I've got a soft spot for Benson.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:06 pm

rad law wrote:
IHaveDietMoxie wrote:Don't worry, I just watched L & O: SVU. Everything's going to be fine.
Did OP get drunk then get accused of a Sex Crime? I've got a soft spot for Benson.
Who doesn't?

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:31 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:Big A:

whats your plan? I'm thinking honesty might be the best policy. Tell them everything I can remember and then tell them that I am not trying to be vague and if they need more info I will gladly retrieve it for them....thats all i got...
Honestly, I don't know. But I'm not applying until 2011, so I'm looking for answers too. I'd like to know how important is it to list the exact date and circumstance for each arrest. Also, could it be a C&F issue when you take the bar if you didn't supply the exact information?

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:07 pm

Rule 42.

As in, ask the school - they will be able to tell you exactly, and you may learn that you don't need to waste the time tracking down all that info - or know for sure you do. Admis staff is very helpful with this sort of stuff.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:11 pm

Can you make it into a positive? Tell them what you did in a way that shows it was something you overcame, like getting over depression or something would be?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:37 pm

Last edited by Foosters Galore on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:39 pm

lol have you been watching the marathon on USA today?? Because I have... :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”