foreign language a good soft? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dajja15

New

foreign language a good soft?

Post by dajja15 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:24 pm

I read somewhere on here that knowing a foreign language is a good soft? Does anyone agree, have any evidence for this. I just know Swedish, a language that is only known by about 11 million people, so I don't think it would help me. Thoughts/Suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks!

nycparalegal

Bronze

Re: foreign language a good soft?

Post by nycparalegal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:25 pm

I'm curious why would this be a good soft?

Raskolnikoff

Bronze

Post by Raskolnikoff » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:27 pm

nycparalegal wrote:I'm curious why would this be a good soft?
uhm.. diversity, ability to communicate with clients that speak it.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:28 pm

Raskolnikoff wrote:ability to communicate with clients that speak it.
lol

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:43 pm

dajja15 wrote:I read somewhere on here that knowing a foreign language is a good soft? Does anyone agree, have any evidence for this. I just know Swedish, a language that is only known by about 11 million people, so I don't think it would help me. Thoughts/Suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks!
it doesn't hurt... and it won't really matter

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dajja15

New

Post by dajja15 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:45 pm

just because I read it on a couple different posts, i didn't think so I was just wondering.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:45 pm

All else equal, a foreign language would get you accepted over somebody else.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:49 pm

dajja15 wrote:I read somewhere on here that knowing a foreign language is a good soft? Does anyone agree, have any evidence for this. I just know Swedish, a language that is only known by about 11 million people, so I don't think it would help me. Thoughts/Suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks!
When interviewing/visiting one of the schools I applied to last year, they actually asked about it, as it was on the resume, and thought it was cool (I had translated for an event at one point).

So I think it is a unique soft. It won't get you numbers, but definitely make a note of it. Also, an off-beat language, such as Swedish, is sometimes considered even more unique.

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:52 pm

if your planning on doing international law hell yeah it does, no question. but even just the diversity factor will give you some brownie points. but i'd imagine knowing only one (other than anglais) won't set you apart. you have to know 2 even 3 to really get a big boost.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:59 pm

nematoad wrote:if your planning on doing international law hell yeah it does, no question. but even just the diversity factor will give you some brownie points. but i'd imagine knowing only one (other than anglais) won't set you apart. you have to know 2 even 3 to really get a big boost.
Have you ever read Anna Ivey's account of when she worked in international law? I think she dealt with German corporations although she never left the states once to conduct business. Every single one of the people she had to interact with who was from Germany could speak fluent English. Everyone. This is how it is. Even if OP gets to conduct corporate business with Swedish firms while headquartered in the US (which is probably a huge longshot anyway) the chance that any fluency might come in handy or would help find OP find a job is about nil.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:01 pm

Raskolnikoff wrote:
Too bad Swedes usually know English better than most Americans.

Raskolnikoff

Bronze

Post by Raskolnikoff » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:02 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Have you ever read Anna Ivey's account of when she worked in international law? I think she dealt with German corporations although she never left the states once to conduct business. Every single one of the people she had to interact with who was from Germany could speak fluent English. Everyone.
Doesn't mean that had she spoken fluent German, it would not have been a big plus. It is a client-serving business.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:03 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
nematoad wrote:if your planning on doing international law hell yeah it does, no question. but even just the diversity factor will give you some brownie points. but i'd imagine knowing only one (other than anglais) won't set you apart. you have to know 2 even 3 to really get a big boost.
Have you ever read Anna Ivey's account of when she worked in international law? I think she dealt with German corporations although she never left the states once to conduct business. Every single one of the people she had to interact with who was from Germany could speak fluent English. Everyone. This is how it is. Even if OP gets to conduct corporate business with Swedish firms while headquartered in the US (which is probably a huge longshot anyway) the chance that any fluency might come in handy or would help find OP find a job is about nil.
I more or less agree that in practice it might not likely make much difference at all unless you really hone in on working in that particular country, etc.

But I think from the strict standpoint of applying to schools, it will be viewed as a plus. It doesn't up the OP's numbers or anything like that. But it's something. It would be more unique to talk about the diversity experiences that brought OP to actually knowing that language.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:05 pm

Raskolnikoff wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Have you ever read Anna Ivey's account of when she worked in international law? I think she dealt with German corporations although she never left the states once to conduct business. Every single one of the people she had to interact with who was from Germany could speak fluent English. Everyone.
Doesn't mean that had she spoken fluent German, it would not have been a big plus. It is a client-serving business.
She knew German but never got the chance to speak it because all of the clients preferred speaking in English.

ConsideringLawSchool

Bronze

Post by ConsideringLawSchool » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:05 pm

Raskolnikoff wrote:
I would be dramatically more effective in my job if I could speak Spanish. If I were hiring a person for my job, I would not accept anyone not fluent in Spanish. If I were hiring anyone for public interest law in a city, I would only consider people fluent in Spanish.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Raskolnikoff wrote:
You'd be surprised. Among the well-traveled and educated, certainly they are very fluent. And indeed, almost everyone speaks a reasonable amount of English. But not as much as one might think.

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:07 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
never read it, but, i guess i can't argue with her account.
however, knowing the native tongue of who you're doing business with is more than just a communication tool, it's a great sign of respect and can make interaction more fluid and conducive to the business at hand.
with europe, i agree, everyone and their mother knows english. i dont think the same can be said for the middle east or asia, both of which are coming more into the scope of intl relations.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:12 pm

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Raskolnikoff wrote:
You'd be surprised. Among the well-traveled and educated, certainly they are very fluent. And indeed, almost everyone speaks a reasonable amount of English. But not as much as one might think.
For Swedes its like 9/10. Many grad programs are taught exclusively in English in Sweden. They are also completely free.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:17 pm

I think a foreign language is a soft that will keep you on par with your competition, but it's not anything that will blow an admissions person away. Nobody on the adcom is going to scream "HOLD ON NOW FELLAS WE GOTTA SWEDISH SPEAKER HERE!!"

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:23 pm

It's probably a much bigger benefit when job hunting. For law admissions, not so much.

dajja15

New

Post by dajja15 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:03 am

thanks everyone for their replies, helped a lot. I'm a engineering/physics major so I am going into patent law (hopefully), so I don't think Swedish will help on the job, ha.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”