Chance Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: How much leeway does a 3.9/176 have in screwing with the PS?

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:52 am

SandyC877 wrote:From what I can gather, the majority opinion is that PS can hurt you, but it can't help you.
You're far from a lock at Yale or Harvard. They get enough applicants with your kind of numbers that they can easily reject you and keep going if they want to. Lots of people with "solid" numbers like yours get rejected from Y or H every year and go "what happened?"

Given that, I'd imagine a solid PS would help you in that it would help keep you from getting rejected there.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:03 am

cubswin wrote:I would bet at least some schools would ding you for it.
+1 Schools/adcoms are pretty clear they don't like that stuff. It sounds like a cute idea, but why gamble everything you worked so hard to build up numberswise for a cute idea...

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:06 am

SandyC877 wrote:If I have a 3.9/176 and wrote an auto-biographical style poem as a PS, would it hurt my chances? How about if I copy and paste an entry of Wikipedia. Would schools care?

Copy and paste the entry of wikipedia.. Just don't cite it... That way you get brought up on academic charges for plagiarism and eventually get fucked on the State C&F app for the bar.. That way you're not only a douche-bag; you're a heavily indebted douche-bag that is only qualified to work as a paralegal.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:09 am

You could just write the link to this gif at the top of the page and thats it

atlantalaw

Bronze

Post by atlantalaw » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:12 am

jawsthegreat wrote:You could just write the link to this gif at the top of the page and thats it

this would probably be better than a poem, unless the poem were in dactylic hexameter. iambic pentameter is too easy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:17 am

tubgirl.com them for your PS. :lol: :lol: :lol:

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:36 am

Desert Fox wrote:I wanted to see if I could write a PS that turned even Cooley off, but they don't even want a PS!

I also wanted to write a PS to Liberty about evolution, but the problem with a 2.8 GPA is that some really terrible schools might reject you just for the GPA. So I wouldn't know that it was because of the PS.
Ooh, cool idea. They gave me a fee waiver; maybe I should write a PS to Regent about being gay.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:42 am

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:47 am

paratactical wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
SandyC877 wrote:If I have a 3.9/176 and wrote an auto-biographical style poem as a PS, would it hurt my chances? How about if I copy and paste an entry of Wikipedia. Would schools care?

Copy and paste the entry of wikipedia.. Just don't cite it... That way you get brought up on academic charges for plagiarism and eventually get fucked on the State C&F app for the bar.. That way you're not only a douche-bag; you're a heavily indebted douche-bag that is only qualified to work as a paralegal.
It wouldn't be easy to get paralegal work. Several major firms ask on their application if you've ever been denied admittance to the bar or law school.
I was being polite.. I envisioned a typist type position at a collections firm; not a real paralegal position. ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:00 am

Kohinoor wrote:
SandyC877 wrote:
kumba84 wrote:Not sure why you would do either of these things. You should just write a semi-interesting, non-plagiarized two page essay and not worry about it.
im a firm believer that numbers speak for themselves, as evident in the incoming 1L class statics of all T-14s.
DO IT. The worst that can happen is that you remove yourself from the competition.
+1

Sogui

Silver

Post by Sogui » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:34 am

I basically have those numbers (3.9/176) and have a few fee-waivers I haven't acted upon yet. (Cornell and UVA)

I wouldn't mind being a test case if I weren't so averse to being a dick and screwing with adcomms at schools I don't really care about.

Having said that, I think it would be hilarious to do something ridiculous for a PS like writing one sentence, making 75%+ of the PS consist of famous quotes, etc... and still see which schools would still accept them, THERE WOULD BE SOME

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:17 am

It would be funny to do this for a school that sends unsolicited fee waivers, but no T14 does this. I thought about sending one to my alma mater since they are always sending me crap like requests for donations to their stupid alumni stuff. I could just write something totally incoherent, since I work with a lot of mentally ill people I could ask them to write or just transcribe what they say. That would be pretty funny. Unfortunately I already threw away their unsolicited fee waiver.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:52 am

Sogui wrote:I basically have those numbers (3.9/176) and have a few fee-waivers I haven't acted upon yet. (Cornell and UVA)

I wouldn't mind being a test case if I weren't so averse to being a dick and screwing with adcomms at schools I don't really care about.

Having said that, I think it would be hilarious to do something ridiculous for a PS like writing one sentence, making 75%+ of the PS consist of famous quotes, etc... and still see which schools would still accept them, THERE WOULD BE SOME
The adcoms do have some contact between each other. U of Chicago knew I got accepted to Northwestern ED almost as fast as I did.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:20 pm

Are you applying this cycle? I've heard that Yale and Columbia both like non-traditional personal statements.

liplaw

New

Post by liplaw » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:29 pm

SandyC877 wrote:
kumba84 wrote:Not sure why you would do either of these things. You should just write a semi-interesting, non-plagiarized two page essay and not worry about it.
im a firm believer that numbers speak for themselves, as evident in the incoming 1L class statics of all T-14s.
Incorrect. What you say is true--until you do something blatantly stupid to mess it up

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:29 pm

I have to say - the idea someone posted about sending a "Coming Out" PS to Regent or Liberty sounds quite wonderful. Throw in about how you want to be able to use the legal system to recruit kids to explore your wonderful lifestyle. Explain, in detail, about the mesh shirts you wear on a daily basis, and your Shakespearean drag queen persona "Mistress Overdone".

If you still got in...that would be just hilarious.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”