LOCI with LSAT retake? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
goosey

Gold

LOCI with LSAT retake?

Post by goosey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:29 pm

I am taking the lsat for the 3rd time---got the same score twice already. I spoke to a dean at my top choice for law school and was told (about a month ago) that the admissions committee is split on me because they like my app but my gpa is very weak. I was told they want to see how I stack up against the competition and are waiting for more apps to come in.

I decided to retake the lsat because when they look at my app again in April or whatever, I want to give them something more to go on. I am confident I can do better and know what went wrong the previous two times.

That said, I dont want to sit there making excuses as to why I got the same score twice in order to defend my decision to retake again to the dean. I do, however, want to send a LOCI---though I have not even been waitlisted--just to drive the point home that I REALLY want to go to that school.

My question is: should I send a LOCI stating that I have registered for Feb? Will I look like I have bad judgement (ie. I got the same score twice and am still retaking)? Can I write a letter saying that I have confidence in my ability to do well and that while this could seem to some like I am not being realistic, I believe this is a demonstration of my resolve? Thoughts?

Also..why would admissions choose to not waitlist someone they are unsure about? Would you see this as a good thing or bad?

goosey

Gold

Re: LOCI with LSAT retake?

Post by goosey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:43 pm

la la la...out of 24 ppl, *nobody* has an opinion?

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:46 pm

It sounds like you have an informal "hold." Some schools do this early on in the process, Chicago and Columbia come to mind. A hold is better than a waitlist, so you should be pleased. A WL is saying that you're not good enough to get into the class as it stands right now, and will be considered again if there is room. You were told you may not be good enough to get into the class as it stands right now, but may be. You'll be re-evaluated regardless of how the class size is doing (you may be one of the last they figure they can fit in if they like you, whereas it's rare for an admissions office to deliberately leave room open for WL applicants), instead of being at the mercy of how many enroll.

At any rate, I'd be very wary to say you're confident you'll do better. If there wasn't a good reason why you scored poorly the first two times (sickness, bad center, etc), how can you be so sure you'll do better. That is, unless you didn't really study before, which you can't really say either. I'd send in your LOCI, and just leave out discussion of the LSAT. Maybe close to the registration deadline, let them know you're retaking. They'll probably advise against it, for what it's worth. I'd prepare like crazy, and if you do well, come back to them with "look what I brought you," and if not, accept that the LSAT owns you and prepare to weather out the cycle...

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:51 pm

starstruck393 wrote:It sounds like you have an informal "hold." Some schools do this early on in the process, Chicago and Columbia come to mind. A hold is better than a waitlist, so you should be pleased. A WL is saying that you're not good enough to get into the class as it stands right now, and will be considered again if there is room. You were told you may not be good enough to get into the class as it stands right now, but may be. You'll be re-evaluated regardless of how the class size is doing (you may be one of the last they figure they can fit in if they like you, whereas it's rare for an admissions office to deliberately leave room open for WL applicants), instead of being at the mercy of how many enroll.

At any rate, I'd be very wary to say you're confident you'll do better. If there wasn't a good reason why you scored poorly the first two times (sickness, bad center, etc), how can you be so sure you'll do better. That is, unless you didn't really study before, which you can't really say either. I'd send in your LOCI, and just leave out discussion of the LSAT. Maybe close to the registration deadline, let them know you're retaking. They'll probably advise against it, for what it's worth. I'd prepare like crazy, and if you do well, come back to them with "look what I brought you," and if not, accept that the LSAT owns you and prepare to weather out the cycle...

thanks for the solid advice.

The registration deadline is tomorrow, so thats why I was considering sending it out today. He did tell me its not necc to retake. He said my lsat isnt the prob, my gpa is. So maybe I can send the letter today and not mention the lsat and if I do much better be like "here u go!"

and wow, im relieved about the hold thing. Because I was worried it was between a waitlist and a reject.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:26 pm

goosey wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:It sounds like you have an informal "hold." Some schools do this early on in the process, Chicago and Columbia come to mind. A hold is better than a waitlist, so you should be pleased. A WL is saying that you're not good enough to get into the class as it stands right now, and will be considered again if there is room. You were told you may not be good enough to get into the class as it stands right now, but may be. You'll be re-evaluated regardless of how the class size is doing (you may be one of the last they figure they can fit in if they like you, whereas it's rare for an admissions office to deliberately leave room open for WL applicants), instead of being at the mercy of how many enroll.

thanks for the solid advice.

The registration deadline is tomorrow, so thats why I was considering sending it out today. He did tell me its not necc to retake. He said my lsat isnt the prob, my gpa is. So maybe I can send the letter today and not mention the lsat and if I do much better be like "here u go!"

and wow, im relieved about the hold thing. Because I was worried it was between a waitlist and a reject.
Oh, I didn't realize it was this early. Yea, I wouldn't mention it unless you do well, or otherwise until you have to. If you do do well, I'd say that you felt you could do better, and wanted to increase your chances and try to offset your GPA. Good luck

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:45 pm

alright great thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”