TFA? Navy? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Creative Username

New

TFA? Navy?

Post by Creative Username » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:08 am

I wasn't exactly a hot shot in undergrad (now there's an understatement). I don't know my LSGPA, but I'm certain it's between 2.5 (realistically, 2.7) and 2.9 in a natural sciences major. I'm now pursuing a Masters in Public Relations, but am finding I would like to study sports/entertainment law to become an agent. I haven't taken the LSAT yet, but that doesn't take away from the fact that I need to distance myself from my GPA. I'm looking at three scenarios here. The most obvious option is to take a PR job and apply to law school afterwards. Or, if I don't find a PR job I'm interested in (which is looking likely with this crap-tastic job economy):

I've been interested in joining the Navy for a while, but never pulled the trigger. Now that I'm enrolled in grad school, it can take care of my loans and serve as a great soft factor as well as a priceless life experience, but on the FAQ, it says I need multiple deployment. Is this true? As far as I know, unless you're a SEAL, you get deployed maybe once unlike the Marines and the Army. I've also heard that UVA and Georgetown are specifically interested in veterans. Any comments on that?

Another route I'm considering is Teach for America. I've read some law schools admire TFA alumni and I do enjoy working with kids (not to mention it pays better than the military), but I'm not really willing to do both TFA and the Navy because of the time commitments (I'd like to finish law school before 30). I can join TFA while in grad school though, right?

I know these seem like roundabout ways to get into law school. I'm sure it seems stupid to join to Navy for the sole purpose of getting into law school, but I'm really willing to do either of these things for the experience (and pay), but not really willing to do them if they don't lead to the ultimate goal of law school. So yeah...comments? Advice?

MURPH

Silver

Re: TFA? Navy?

Post by MURPH » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:23 am

know that the military is an 8 year committment. 3 or 4 of active duty and 4 or 5 of inactive reserves, where you can be called up if there is a shortage in your specialty. Going in as an officer probably pays as well as Teach for America after loan repayments and GI Bill and other benefits are calculated.
If you want to get deployed it is not a problem. There is going to be no shortage of work in the Middle East for people with guns in the near future. It can be hard or impossible to avoid deployments if you are called upon.
The military life has some good points. There is a lot of comradary and promotions are regular, benifits are good. But they own you, they are intolerant of gays and people who are different, and bad people will try to kill you.
To make up for my low GPA I got a second BA in Philosophy after getting out of the military. The best way to make up for a low GPA is to get a 180 on your LSAT.

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:24 am

Creative Username wrote:I wasn't exactly a hot shot in undergrad (now there's an understatement). I don't know my LSGPA, but I'm certain it's between 2.5 (realistically, 2.7) and 2.9 in a natural sciences major. I'm now pursuing a Masters in Public Relations, but am finding I would like to study sports/entertainment law to become an agent. I haven't taken the LSAT yet, but that doesn't take away from the fact that I need to distance myself from my GPA. I'm looking at three scenarios here. The most obvious option is to take a PR job and apply to law school afterwards. Or, if I don't find a PR job I'm interested in (which is looking likely with this crap-tastic job economy):

I've been interested in joining the Navy for a while, but never pulled the trigger. Now that I'm enrolled in grad school, it can take care of my loans and serve as a great soft factor as well as a priceless life experience, but on the FAQ, it says I need multiple deployment. Is this true? As far as I know, unless you're a SEAL, you get deployed maybe once unlike the Marines and the Army. I've also heard that UVA and Georgetown are specifically interested in veterans. Any comments on that?

Another route I'm considering is Teach for America. I've read some law schools admire TFA alumni and I do enjoy working with kids (not to mention it pays better than the military), but I'm not really willing to do both TFA and the Navy because of the time commitments (I'd like to finish law school before 30). I can join TFA while in grad school though, right?

I know these seem like roundabout ways to get into law school. I'm sure it seems stupid to join to Navy for the sole purpose of getting into law school, but I'm really willing to do either of these things for the experience (and pay), but not really willing to do them if they don't lead to the ultimate goal of law school. So yeah...comments? Advice?

Personally, I think it would be better to expand ones horizons by doing something out of the ordinary after UG. That being said, you should do what interests you and not as a means of getting into law school. The Navy is doing multiple deployments right now but most of the time they are for humanitarian purposes and not wartime. Afghanistan is not really effecting the Navy too much. As for Teach for America, I heard it is a good program to get into that does not have a lengthy time commitment. And yes, schools look at both of these areas with added interest but in the end your GPA and LSAT will be the most deciding factors.

My Suggestions:
1)Talk to a navy recruiter
2)Talk to a Teach for America recruiter
3)Talk to a Peace Corp recruiter (combo of the above in a way)
4)Talk to your family
5) Do what would make you happy in the long term without sacrificing your short term happiness.

thisguy456

Bronze

Post by thisguy456 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:44 am

sckon wrote:
Creative Username wrote:I wasn't exactly a hot shot in undergrad (now there's an understatement). I don't know my LSGPA, but I'm certain it's between 2.5 (realistically, 2.7) and 2.9 in a natural sciences major. I'm now pursuing a Masters in Public Relations, but am finding I would like to study sports/entertainment law to become an agent. I haven't taken the LSAT yet, but that doesn't take away from the fact that I need to distance myself from my GPA. I'm looking at three scenarios here. The most obvious option is to take a PR job and apply to law school afterwards. Or, if I don't find a PR job I'm interested in (which is looking likely with this crap-tastic job economy):

Personally, I think it would be better to expand ones horizons by doing something out of the ordinary after UG. That being said, you should do what interests you and not as a means of getting into law school. The Navy is doing multiple deployments right now but most of the time they are for humanitarian purposes and not wartime. Afghanistan is not really effecting the Navy too much. As for Teach for America, I heard it is a good program to get into that does not have a lengthy time commitment. And yes, schools look at both of these areas with added interest but in the end your GPA and LSAT will be the most deciding factors.

My Suggestions:
1)Talk to a navy recruiter
2)Talk to a Teach for America recruiter
3)Talk to a Peace Corp recruiter (combo of the above in a way)
4)Talk to your family
5) Do what would make you happy in the long term without sacrificing your short term happiness.

Not that anyone seems to care when discussing hypotheticals like military service, Teach for America, or Peace Corps (and others), but each of those options are extremely difficult to accomplish in their own right. It seems people are usually very dedicated and have thought pursuing these things for quite some time before actually doing them.

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:04 am

That is true. These are not flake opportunities and require a lot of commitment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:10 am

have you thought about a normal, entry-level job? one that doesn't require a time commitment? you sound lost and like you aren't sure what you want. that is a bad reason to join the armed forces, TFA or go to law school.

Creative Username

New

Post by Creative Username » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:34 pm

IAFG wrote:have you thought about a normal, entry-level job? one that doesn't require a time commitment? you sound lost and like you aren't sure what you want. that is a bad reason to join the armed forces, TFA or go to law school.
Well, I'm committed to law school. Just not to the means of getting there. I'm pretty much like most people (here?) and will go for broke for a good shot at a top law school.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:50 pm

Last edited by vamedic03 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:57 pm

as a veteran myself (Marines, not Navy, but I still know a bit) I can try to clear a few things up. First of all, the Navy is extremely likely to have multiple deployments, probably more than other services if I had to guess. Note that these aren't necessarily combat deployments, but the Navy is perhaps the most global reaching of the services. There are constant deployments aboard the hundreds and hundreds of vessels, as well as naval stations around the world. You don't think about those because the ones in the news are the combat zones in Iraq and Afghanistan. Second, the time commitment varies greatly by job. If you're going in as say, a nuclear engineer and the Navy was paying for your education, you would owe more time. One poster mentioned the minimum 8 years . . . 4 active, 4 inactive reserve. This is technically true, but it is very rare to get called off the inactive reserve. Depending on your MOS it might be slightly more likely, but it remains uncommon enough that I would not consider it it your deliberations.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:38 am

I'm biased, but I say go join the Navy and have fun. There are many foreign girls and beer you have yet to try. :twisted:

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:46 am

I don't want to discourage you, but it's wise to look at other branches too. Navy OCS is incredibly selective now. Even folks with high GPAs (3.5+) are facing stiff competition for certain specialties. I think the board selection rate for Intel and Public Affairs was something like 3% last year.

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:34 am

JOThompson wrote:I don't want to discourage you, but it's wise to look at other branches too. Navy OCS is incredibly selective now. Even folks with high GPAs (3.5+) are facing stiff competition for certain specialties. I think the board selection rate for Intel and Public Affairs was something like 3% last year.
That is very true. I spoke with an officer recruiter a couple weeks back and all surface applications had been filled. They are getting their pick of the litter when the fiscal year starts over due to the economy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”