Is it really THAT impossible to get a job before 1L? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thewolfandpeter

New

Is it really THAT impossible to get a job before 1L?

Post by thewolfandpeter » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:29 pm

I understand what kind of fiasco the economy is in right now, and yes my 2L friends at T20 schools are barely eeking into jobs.

For those of us who want to work a year (or two max) before 1L, is the economy really the only reason you can't find a job?

I went to usc undergrad, graduated from the b-school with barely a 3.4 and I have 2 50K+ job offers in finance (to be specific a non-accounting Big4 firm position and a competitor of Charles Schwab)...ITE.

I'm not sure what other fields besides business/finance/consulting/marketing/accounting pay 50k+ starting salaries, so I don't think the liberal arts majors can complain about not getting jobs in this economy...it was your choice to major in classics or some other BS like basket-weaving and slide into your 3.7+, and there's no way you can compete with the business or accounting majors to land a real job.

Anyone with me or care to enlighten me?

b.j.

Bronze

Re: Is it really THAT impossible to get a job before 1L?

Post by b.j. » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:32 pm

thewolfandpeter wrote:I understand what kind of fiasco the economy is in right now, and yes my 2L friends at T20 schools are barely eeking into jobs.

For those of us who want to work a year (or two max) before 1L, is the economy really the only reason you can't find a job?

I went to usc undergrad, graduated from the b-school with barely a 3.4 and I have 2 50K+ job offers in finance (to be specific a non-accounting Big4 firm position and a competitor of Charles Schwab)...ITE.

I'm not sure what other fields besides business/finance/consulting/marketing/accounting pay 50k+ starting salaries, so I don't think the liberal arts majors can complain about not getting jobs in this economy...it was your choice to major in classics or some other BS like basket-weaving and slide into your 3.7+, and there's no way you can compete with the business or accounting majors to land a real job.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you applying to law school?

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:32 pm

thewolfandpeter wrote:I understand what kind of fiasco the economy is in right now, and yes my 2L friends at T20 schools are barely eeking into jobs.

lol there's the key. If you attended a run of the mill school it's pretty damn hard to get a job--you attended USC. On top of that I'm not sure who told you a 3.4 was a bad GPA. Outside of Ibanking, PE, MC and other elite jobs a 3.4 is not going to keep you from getting a job--let alone a 3.4 from a strong school in a strong major. On top of that I bet you had a good internship while you were in undergrad didn't you? For the average college grade it is very, very, very hard to get a job where one can actually fully support themselves without some type of outside assistance. And just so you know, even if you are a business major, if you are at an average school it is still incredibly difficult to get a well paying job.
Last edited by kurama20 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:34 pm

What does this post mean? Are you asking liberal arts majors to defend their right to complain about not getting a job?

iamtaw

Bronze

Post by iamtaw » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:36 pm

b-school AND from usc huh?

really comes through

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ConsideringLawSchool

Bronze

Post by ConsideringLawSchool » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:39 pm

Also, for those of you who are not seeking high starting salaries (unless you have lots of loans, how many expenses do you really have as a 20-something year-old with no family?), the non-profit sector has wonderful opportunities. Same with government, politics. Campaigns love to hire young, energetic folks and are, by their very nature, time limited. Opportunities abound if you are creative, able to work hard, and willing to accept a lower starting salary.

DiggyHopeful

New

Post by DiggyHopeful » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:40 pm

lol what a douchebag

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:41 pm

ConsideringLawSchool wrote:Campaigns love to hire young, energetic folks and are, by their very nature, time limited. Opportunities abound if you are creative, able to work hard, and willing to accept a lower starting salary.
I know a bunch of people who have gotten involved in politics and campaign politics, but they all knew someone who got them a job. I don't think it's the kind of thing you can just walk in to.

ConsideringLawSchool

Bronze

Post by ConsideringLawSchool » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:42 pm

biggamejames wrote:
ConsideringLawSchool wrote:Campaigns love to hire young, energetic folks and are, by their very nature, time limited. Opportunities abound if you are creative, able to work hard, and willing to accept a lower starting salary.
I know a bunch of people who have gotten involved in politics and campaign politics, but they all knew someone who got them a job. I don't think it's the kind of thing you can just walk in to.
Having known hundreds of people in the field, I have to disagree with you. Many folks whom I know spent 1-3 months volunteering, got noticed, and then got hired full-time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thewolfandpeter

New

Post by thewolfandpeter » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:43 pm

Sorry the post was not meant as a rant...just having a heating debate with some friends.

Yes I did have solid internship experience working for similar companies, and I can thank only USC for that. I have no connections besides the USC career center and decent interviewing skills.
b.j. wrote:

**I'm applying to law school for 2 reasons and 2 reasons only:
1. I like the type of work lawyers do and really feel I could make a career out of it. While I'm good at finance and market analysis, law is wayyyy more ineresting

2. MONEY$$$$. Let me tell you how the career chain works at Deloitte. You get your 52k entry level position, work your ass off as a salaried employee 65 hours a week, get a 8% raise year after year (excluding modest bonuses -- only the ibankers get the BIG bonuses), and you are LUCKY to be making $90k by the time you are 30....and if you make something close to partner (which maybe 5% of people do, you will likely plateau somewhere before) THEN you will make the $500k+.

I would much rather earn 50k a couple of years and jump to 110k+...maybe even 130k (I'll forget about the 160k's for right now)....as a starting salary for a legal position, regardless of hours worked. I really dont want to stay in the slave factory we call Corporate America forever.

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:44 pm

kurama20 wrote:

lol there's the key. If you attended a run of the mill school it's pretty damn hard to get a job--you attended USC. On top of that I'm not sure who told you a 3.4 was a bad GPA. Outside of Ibanking, PE, MC and other elite jobs a 3.4 is not going to keep you from getting a job--let alone a 3.4 from a strong school in a strong major. On top of that I bet you had a good internship while you were in undergrad didn't you? For the average college grade it is very, very, very hard to get a job where one can actually fully support themselves without some type of outside assistance. And just so you know, even if you are a business major, if you are at an average school it is still incredibly difficult to get a well paying job.
I agree with you, but perhaps it's important to draw a distinction between a job and a career. The employment situation isn't great, but it's not THAT bad, at least overall. (Some place like Detroit might be a different story, for example.) It's probably not that difficult to scrounge up some type of work if you look hard enough, but it probably won't pay very much and probably won't be the sort of work that allows you to advance. In other words, it's not the start of a career, but rather something, for most people, much more temporary.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:47 pm

b.j. wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

I agree with you, but perhaps it's important to draw a distinction between a job and a career. The employment situation isn't great, but it's not THAT bad, at least overall. (Some place like Detroit might be a different story, for example.) It's probably not that difficult to scrounge up some type of work if you look hard enough, but it probably won't pay very much and probably won't be the sort of work that allows you to advance. In other words, it's not the start of a career, but rather something, for most people, much more temporary.
I'm not even talking about a career. I'm talking about getting a job where you can use your salary to live totally on your own (pay rent, utilities, food, and a car note). Yeah it's not that difficult to ge a job at the mall or Chick Fil-A etc (if you look for a while).

thewolfandpeter

New

Post by thewolfandpeter » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:48 pm

betasteve wrote:OP serves as proof of the douchbaggery of USC.
LOLLLLLL

I just never understood the purpose of a liberal arts major (excluding premed) unless you want the easiest way to a great gpa KNOWING you will some day go to law school. the B- curve (now a 3.0 curve) at usc b-school fucked a lot of us over

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ConsideringLawSchool

Bronze

Post by ConsideringLawSchool » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:49 pm

kurama20 wrote:
b.j. wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

I'm not even talking about a career. I'm talking about getting a job where you can use your salary to live totally on your own (pay rent, utilities, food, and a car note). Yeah it's not that difficult to ge a job at the mall or Chick Fil-A etc (if you look for a while).
Working in the non-profit sector, I have no problem whatsover living on my own. You don't need to make 50k+ to have an apartment, food, clothes, and even some money for going out, gifts, and charities on the side.

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:49 pm

thewolfandpeter wrote:Sorry the post was not meant as a rant...just having a heating debate with some friends.

Yes I did have solid internship experience working for similar companies, and I can thank only USC for that. I have no connections besides the USC career center and decent interviewing skills.
b.j. wrote:

**I'm applying to law school for 2 reasons and 2 reasons only:
1. I like the type of work lawyers do and really feel I could make a career out of it. While I'm good at finance and market analysis, law is wayyyy more ineresting

2. MONEY$$$$. Let me tell you how the career chain works at Deloitte. You get your 52k entry level position, work your ass off as a salaried employee 65 hours a week, get a 8% raise year after year (excluding modest bonuses -- only the ibankers get the BIG bonuses), and you are LUCKY to be making $90k by the time you are 30....and if you make something close to partner (which maybe 5% of people do, you will likely plateau somewhere before) THEN you will make the $500k+.

I would much rather earn 50k a couple of years and jump to 110k+...maybe even 130k (I'll forget about the 160k's for right now)....as a starting salary for a legal position, regardless of hours worked. I really dont want to stay in the slave factory we call Corporate America forever.
Okay, now I feel like a dummy. When I first read your post, I thought you made a typo and were trying to state that you had multiple $250,000+ job offers. I couldn't imagine that someone with so money being thrown at them at such a young age would really be so willing to give it up for a field that would require a lot of time, effort, and debt. But now I realize you meant two $50,000+ jobs, so never mind.

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:51 pm

thewolfandpeter wrote:
LOLLLLLL

I just never understood the purpose of a liberal arts major (excluding premed) unless you want the easiest way to a great gpa KNOWING you will some day go to law school. the B- curve (now a 3.0 curve) at usc b-school fucked a lot of us over
Because I'd rather major in Classics, love my classes, and work third shift at a gas station than have to work around annoying business types all day doing work that is no more intellectually engaging than waiting tables?

gobucks101

Gold

Post by gobucks101 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:52 pm

thewolfandpeter wrote: 2. MONEY$$$$. Let me tell you how the career chain works at Deloitte. You get your 52k entry level position, work your ass off as a salaried employee 65 hours a week, get a 8% raise year after year (excluding modest bonuses -- only the ibankers get the BIG bonuses), and you are LUCKY to be making $90k by the time you are 30....and if you make something close to partner (which maybe 5% of people do, you will likely plateau somewhere before) THEN you will make the $500k+.

Quick things to consider
1. You will not be working for those 3 years so there goes 156k lost income plus bonuses and raises. Add in tuition and living expenses and that number goes anywhere from 150k-300k.
2. You aren't guaranteed that $$$$. The legal market isn't sunshine and rainbows these days, so seems like a pretty big risk

You know your abilities better than anyone else, but it is a pretty big risk when you seem to have a nice setup as it is. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:54 pm

go get a job you bum
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thewolfandpeter

New

Post by thewolfandpeter » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:55 pm

biggamejames wrote:
thewolfandpeter wrote:
LOLLLLLL

Because I'd rather major in Classics, love my classes, and work third shift at a gas station than have to work around annoying business types all day doing work that is no more intellectually engaging than waiting tables?

The work is definitely more engaging than waiting tables sir...I don't mind the work, its the corporate ladder thats horrible. I just feel the liberal arts college is a scam...most of my usc and ucla history major friends are upset b/c they are beyond screwed right now.

thewolfandpeter

New

Post by thewolfandpeter » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:04 pm

gobucks101 wrote:
thewolfandpeter wrote: 2. MONEY$$$$. Let me tell you how the career chain works at Deloitte. You get your 52k entry level position, work your ass off as a salaried employee 65 hours a week, get a 8% raise year after year (excluding modest bonuses -- only the ibankers get the BIG bonuses), and you are LUCKY to be making $90k by the time you are 30....and if you make something close to partner (which maybe 5% of people do, you will likely plateau somewhere before) THEN you will make the $500k+.

Quick things to consider
1. You will not be working for those 3 years so there goes 156k lost income plus bonuses and raises. Add in tuition and living expenses and that number goes anywhere from 150k-300k.
2. You aren't guaranteed that $$$$. The legal market isn't sunshine and rainbows these days, so seems like a pretty big risk

You know your abilities better than anyone else, but it is a pretty big risk when you seem to have a nice setup as it is. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

Your perspective is much appreciated, now we are getting somewhere.

The forgone salary opportunity cost + lets estimate 120k in tuition and living expenses after scholarships = a ton of money (at least 176k).

Despite the tough economy, I still believe 5 years from now the legal market will at least pick up a little and a 120K+ job will be attainable with a T30 legal degree (or your local law school with a massive alumni base)...quickly repaying all debt and surpassing the opportunity cost.

And one could always find an 80k job in the business world with a B.S. in business and a J.D...as a last resort. Thats my logic anyways.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:07 pm

thewolfandpeter wrote:
biggamejames wrote:
thewolfandpeter wrote:
LOLLLLLL

The work is definitely more engaging than waiting tables sir...I don't mind the work, its the corporate ladder thats horrible. I just feel the liberal arts college is a scam...most of my usc and ucla history major friends are upset b/c they are beyond screwed right now.
If you major in a liberal art with the major intention of have a guaranteed lucrative job, then you probably did waste some time. Whether or not that's a scam depends on how you were convinced to develop that belief.

A liberal arts education in general is a great thing for most intellectually inclined folks. It's challenging and interesting, which really maximizes the development of critical thinking, and a lot of the knowledge is essential to good citizenship in society. Once someone gets an entry level job they can learn the skills on the job and then move on from there.

However, it's not job training. Those who want job training are better off going to ITT Tech or trade school than USC. I have a hard time being sympathetic to anyone who spends money on a USC education just to learn classics and then ends of complaining about not having a job. Since after all, they could have gotten that same education for cheaper at a state school.

With that said, if most liberal arts majors chose Business instead, you probably wouldn't have a job, so maybe you shouldn't be complaining about them complaining.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:08 pm

Working in the non-profit sector, I have no problem whatsover living on my own. You don't need to make 50k+ to have an apartment, food, clothes, and even some money for going out, gifts, and charities on the side.
Cough cough you missed a car note. Besides I didn't even say 50K. But you do need a 35K pre tax salary to be certain you can take care of things unless you live somewhere like N. Dakota or Mississippi. Besides something tells me that you don't have significant educational debt (or significant debt of any other kind).

biggamejames

Bronze

Post by biggamejames » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:09 pm

kurama20 wrote:Cough cough you missed a car note. Besides I didn't even say 50K. But you do need a 35K pre tax salary to be certain you can take care of things unless you live somewhere like N. Dakota or Mississippi. Besides something tells me that you don't have significant educational debt (or significant debt of any other kind).
It was Kentucky, but it's worth pointing out here that I lived for two and a half years off 14k/year. It can be done.

ConsideringLawSchool

Bronze

Post by ConsideringLawSchool » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:12 pm

kurama20 wrote:
Cough cough you missed a car note. Besides I didn't even say 50K. But you do need a 35K pre tax salary to be certain you can take care of things unless you live somewhere like N. Dakota or Mississippi. Besides something tells me that you don't have significant educational debt (or significant debt of any other kind).
I live in a big city so have no use for a car. I already stated that debt would change the calculus.

thewolfandpeter

New

Post by thewolfandpeter » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Well said, Borhas, well said.

*I do, however, feel sympathetic for those who worked their asses off in high school to get into usc and are graduating with 100K+ in undergrad debt after financial aid...as do many out-of-staters at ucla.

*I have to agree that if you are going for the intellectually stimulating major of your choice, at cheaper state school (like CSU Northridge or something) would suit your better --- but the lack of competition/reputation at a state school must hurt your chances at a top tier law school, and would be a slap in the face to those who had great SAT scores and great high school gpas

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”