Marquette Law? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nicksmurf

New

Marquette Law?

Post by nicksmurf » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:31 pm

Anyone here apply or go to Marquette? I go here for undergrad, and I love the school a lot. I want to go to a higher ranked school, but I don't think I'll have the numbers to get in. How are they for scholarships and salaries after graduation?

nicksmurf

New

Re: Marquette Law?

Post by nicksmurf » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:51 pm

I was just asking if anyone applied or actually goes to the school...it doesn't seem very popular outside of sports law.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:20 am

nicksmurf wrote:I was just asking if anyone applied or actually goes to the school...it doesn't seem very popular outside of sports law.
Not too many Marquette applicants on here, I'm afraid. But for the record, I visited Marquette for a basketball game my senior year of high school and I loved it! Awesome school from my short exposure to it, and I probably would have gone there if I didn't get into my current undergrad.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:54 pm

Great school for people planning on staying within Wisconsin. It's also right in the heart of downtown Milwaukee which has its negatives and positives. I believe they just built a new law building which is supposed to be quite nice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:07 am

Does anyone know if money comes w/ an acceptance or at a later date?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:47 pm

I almost applied there, but I did some research on the school through LSN and other sources. It doesn't seem like they hand out a lot of scholarship money at all. Compare that to University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, MN, which is a similar Catholic school in the vicinity. They hand out full scholarships like they were candy, and they've waived their application fee this year. Although they are T3, they have medians that belong in T2 (better than Marquette) and are probably only T3 because they are new. They are aggressively courting better students, while Marquette doesn't seem to care about this. I plan on applying there this weekend and seeing what they give me, as I want to return to the Minnesota/Wisconsin/Illinois area for law school.

QW3R7Y

New

Post by QW3R7Y » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:03 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Slimpee wrote:Does anyone know if money comes w/ an acceptance or at a later date?
Later, hopefully.
I am a current student at Marquette University Law School, with a scholarship. It was my experience last year (in applying) that scholarship offers arrived with the initial admissions offer. It may vary this year, or on a case-by-case basis, but take my experience for what it's worth.
JollyGreenGiant wrote:I believe they just built a new law building which is supposed to be quite nice.
Correct. The building will open this Summer. The facility is going to be one of the best law school facilities in the entire nation. More information on this topic can be found here: http://law.marquette.edu/ecksteinhall/
nicksmurf wrote:Anyone here apply or go to Marquette? I go here for undergrad, and I love the school a lot. I want to go to a higher ranked school, but I don't think I'll have the numbers to get in. How are they for scholarships and salaries after graduation?
See my above reply to Nightrunner for your question regarding scholarships.

As for salaries after graduation, that will depend entirely on your progress in law school. For example, if you have a high GPA (let's say, Top 20%) and participate in additional activities (Pro Bono work, Law Review, Moot Court competitions, etc.), you may work at a large firm in Milwaukee such as Foley & Lardner (who, according to NALP, hire entry-level associates at $145,000/yr to $160,000/yr). On the other hand, you may not have such a high GPA, in which case this website quotes the median salary for MULS graduates at around $73,000/yr.

Keep in mind that the cost of living in Wisconsin is lower than some of the nearby big cities (such as Chicago). $73,000/yr isn't a bad start for someone living in this state. Also, remember these are merely estimated starting figures. How you choose to advance your career is up to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”