Swapping personal statements Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
klgsac1

New

Re: Swapping personal statements

Post by klgsac1 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:26 pm

Hi anyone want to swap PS's? Mine is personal so don't want to have anyone I know read it....rather have a stranger who doesn't know me! :)

Let me know!

Shavshav

New

Post by Shavshav » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:23 am

Looking to swap PS? Please let me know. I took Thursday and Friday off work to get everything together so i can apply soon. I am willing to give all my help those days(and if needed thereafter). thank you.

nikkei325i

New

Post by nikkei325i » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:42 pm

I was taking yet another typical trip to Orlando, Florida, accompanying my parents on a business trip; however, this time I took with me a “souvenir” unlike any other that would remind me of my parents’ legal dispute that changed my outlook on the meaning of homeownership.

My initial reason for coming along with my parents was due to curiosity of knowing what kind of troubles my parents were dealing with in Orlando and how they were going to get out of it. I have always heard my parents talking about their vacation home, but never bothered to question them about it until that day. After attacking my parents with several questions, I learned that they were involved in a legal dispute with their property management company. This company had entered into an agreement with my parents, taking on the responsibility of renting, occupying, and paying off all necessary taxes and payments for the term of two years on our vacation home. In less than a year, however, the company defaulted, failing to carryout the agreed upon responsibilities. The case still continues to this day, as do my parents’ worries.

It was this legal dispute that jump-started my interest in property law. Seeing my father’s mental anguish since the beginning of this battle left me in a frustrated mental state, yet at the same time I understood why he acted that way. These tangible objects we call “homes” are the most expensive purchases we ever make in our lives; my father, like millions of others, contributes approximately one-third of his life working for his home. But I believe that a home has a deeper meaning to it; it describes the significance, unforgettable memories, and sentimental value that a person establishes in these objects. Most immigrants’ reason for traveling to this country is to obtain the “American Dream;” that is, the traditional social ideal where one has the opportunity and freedom to own their home. The perseverance, dedication, and time essential to purchasing a home is enormous, and one would do everything in their power to keep it.

When looking at my father’s position the picture becomes clearer then for why the uncertainty of possibly losing your home at any moment can be distressing. After analyzing my parents’ situation, and realizing some of the potential consequences they faced, I was determined to find out how I could aid in salvaging not only my parents,’ but others’ homes that are lost, or are at risk of being lost, due to uncontrollable and unforeseeable events. When I returned home, I immediately consulted my sister, who is in the mortgage business, about pursuing my desire. Luck was on my side as she had found and setup an internship for me with a property attorney. This attorney, due to the current economic situation, concentrates specifically on providing help to those individuals who are in danger of foreclosure. In my time working with the attorney, one specific client of hers caught my attention. I remember vividly how distressed this man sounded from the volatile tone of his words; most were soft and hesitant, and carefully reciprocated to every one of the attorney’s questions; others peaked to levels that gave off a clear sign of frustration. It reminded me of my father’s words and the expression on his face in Florida.

After their conversation the chance to expand on my curiosity became vacant, and it was here that my perspective on being a homeowner could really shine through. The attorney had turned the spotlight on me as she put me in control, by requesting that I propose a remedy. I began by analyzing her client’s problem: a man facing foreclosure on his home because of a sour marriage that resulted in a decline in his household income. Then I had to ask myself several questions: How severe is his situation? Is achieving a solution to his problem realistic? What are the factors preventing him from keeping his home? As I examined his financial statements I found that his expenses were moderate, and could be realistically solved. I followed up with him and took note of other factors affecting his circumstance such as support of four children, so childcare is essential. Moreover, he held a second job at night which showed that he was making an effort to cover his mortgage payment and also mentioned his efforts of rekindling of his marriage through counseling.

When formulating a method to resolve the client’s situation I wanted to create a solution that would not drastically shift his lifestyle away from his current one. The solution I came up with was playing-out-the-numbers as being the best bet to tackling the problem. By reviewing his financial statements and identifying expenses that I could reduce in targeted areas where amounts appeared overextended, while keeping in mind what his priorities I was able to create an effective measure for the client that would allow him to maintain his current lifestyle in a better position. Although the method alone was not enough to resolve the client’s problems, it played a significant role in assisting the attorney in formulating her own solution to getting her client on the right track.

It was during the internship that I was able to solidify my interest in studying the law, and to discover a facet of the law that, considering my own life experiences, proved so appealing. Although by working alongside the attorney I was able to gain a better understanding and become more involved in the legal process, my assistance was limited by how little I knew. To become a more effective advocate for troubled individuals such as my parents or the attorney’s client, I realized that law school is necessary.

stinati

New

Post by stinati » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:56 am

Interested in swapping if anyone is interested.

Rambiggler

New

Post by Rambiggler » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:53 pm

anyone have a few minutes to critique mine? i'd be glad to look at yours.

note: mine exceeds the PS limits of some schools, looking for advice on how to consolidate it

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

noop

New

Post by noop » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:45 pm

Anyone want to swap? mehta.anup@yahoo.com thanks!

freighton

New

Post by freighton » Fri May 01, 2009 10:50 am

noop wrote:Anyone want to swap? mehta.anup@yahoo.com thanks!
I will.

MsMeliss

New

Post by MsMeliss » Thu May 21, 2009 2:36 pm

Anyone want to swap? Mine is a bit lengthy, so advice on trimming it down would be fantastic.

joshikousei

Bronze

Post by joshikousei » Thu May 21, 2009 2:37 pm

Last edited by joshikousei on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Wed May 27, 2009 11:58 am

work is slow. if anyone wants i'll go over a few today, just pm to me before 2:00/5:00.

corresponding Cor

New

Post by corresponding Cor » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:35 am

Same here. PM me if you want to swap.

ire

New

Post by ire » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:28 pm

klgsac1 wrote:Hi anyone want to swap PS's? Mine is personal so don't want to have anyone I know read it....rather have a stranger who doesn't know me! :)

Let me know!

i do not know you, you can PM me:))

ire

New

Post by ire » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:37 pm

hey everybody, I quit my job to prepare for the LSAT of december 2009. I have plenty of time to give anybody a hand. If anybody needs an outsider's eye for their statements PM me:D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:24 pm

If anyone wants to swap with me, I have one all ready to go for you to look at! :D

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:19 pm

Add me to the list of wanting to swap with anyone :)

PM me yours and I'll send mine.

thekun

New

Post by thekun » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:41 pm

I am interested in swapping. please pm me!

notoriousscrat

New

Post by notoriousscrat » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:10 am

I'd like to swap too, but I'd also like whoever to look at my diversity statement too. Both are pretty rough and my diversity statement is the far stronger of the two but it's also way too long even though both are really too long. PM me if you're interested. I'm happy to look at your diversity statement as well as personal statement too, of course.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

iggabugga

New

Post by iggabugga » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:02 am

Of all the advice my father ever gave me growing up, his claim that, “The secret to happiness and success in life is to figure out how to fit together the Hoops and the Squares,” seems to most accurately reflect the process through which I have become who I am today.
I already am curious about what the Hoops and Squares are each going to turn out to be...I want to read on.

GREAT opening sentence!!

:arrow: :mrgreen:

Castillo.Gonzalez

New

SWAPPING PERSONAL STATEMENTS THIS MONTH ???

Post by Castillo.Gonzalez » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:05 am

HI EVERYONE, I JUST JOINED TOP-LAW SCHOOLS. IS ANYONE WILLING TO SWAPP PERSONAL STATEMENTS? I HAVE TWO ACTUALLY, AND I'M NOT SURE WHIHC ONE TO USE, IF ANY =) PLEASE LET ME KNOW. :mrgreen:

Jyoung538

New

Post by Jyoung538 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:34 pm

If anyone wants to swap let me know via email. young4967@evangel.edu Thanks

gbn

New

Post by gbn » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:54 pm

Just finished my first draft, if anyone wants to seriously provide and receive constructive criticism then just PM me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

170plusorbust

New

Post by 170plusorbust » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:27 am

anyone else writing about overcoming adversities wanna swap? i'm pretty much done, but i've gotta consolidate like crazy... i'm way over the word limit. PM me for email!

JoshL87

New

Post by JoshL87 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:00 am

I'd be willing to swap. Just let me know!

macaroni

New

Post by macaroni » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:26 pm

Also looking to swap. Send along your PS if you're interested.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:42 pm

My essay has gone through about 3-4 edits already but I'm really looking to see what other potential applicants have to say about it. I've been told that it's a decent read but I should probably get more feedback.

PM me if you're interested; I'm a very good editor for structure/story arc if that's what you need.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”