How long should my C&F disclosure be for a matter that was dismissed? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
cflsat2020

New

How long should my C&F disclosure be for a matter that was dismissed?

Post by cflsat2020 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:26 pm

Last year, I (along with one other person) was investigated for harassment and discrimination by the Title IX office at my school. After a short investigation, the investigation was terminated because the investigatory officer found that, even if they accepted all the facts from the complainant, the issue wouldn't constitute a violation of university policy.

The matter essentially arose because of a disagreement between a large group of people, of which I was a principal member, and a member of our dorm floor over the propriety of conversational topics in public spaces, including certain types of humor and discussion about religion. To my knowledge, this person did not actually submit a complaint to the office. They spoke to our RA about the issue and the RA felt they had to recommend it themselves.

In any case, the important thing here is that the investigation began and was terminated shortly after beginning. Despite that, I have to disclose to Yale, Stanford, NYU, and Cornell. Is the short blurb I posted above sufficient to explain the nature of the investigation, given that it was dismissed by finding me not guilty of the complaint? I have a quote from the Title IX officer that I can also include in disclosure, and they said they would send an email with a similar sentiment to any school that asks for it.

Thanks for the help.

Philly8787

New

Re: How long should my C&F disclosure be for a matter that was dismissed?

Post by Philly8787 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:35 am

I think you have to give a few more details than that. The statement reads as a little evasive, at least to me. Others may have a different opinion.

I'd start with the second paragraph, and make it much clearer. Just state what happened. I was with a large group in our dorm...X happened, and I got into an argument about Y. This offended another member of the dorm community, who talked to our RA...

You don't have to go into excruciating detail, but you should mention some more detail about what happened. A group "of which I was a principal member" is vague, as are the facts of what happened. It's good that it was cleared, and you should absolutely mention that. I think you should also note, regardless of that, any reflection on how your actions might have offended another member of the community, or made them feel unsafe, which wasn't your intention, and what you took from that.

All this to say...It feels evasive because you dance around the facts. Just state them clearly and confidently, take ownership of the fact that something you were a part of offended someone else, and what you learned from it. That's my take. Others may feel differently, of course.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: How long should my C&F disclosure be for a matter that was dismissed?

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:57 am

Might be sufficient to share:

"The investigating officer determined that even if all the facts in the complaint were true, it would not constitute a violation of university policy."

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”