Help with C&F addendum? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
lsathrowawayy12345

New

Help with C&F addendum?

Post by lsathrowawayy12345 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:21 am

Hi all. I got in a little disciplinary trouble my first semester of college. I'm deeply embarrassed by it and have worked really hard to overcome it. It's outlined in the C&F addendum I've added below, and I just wanted to know if it expresses how deeply I regret my actions and how hard I have worked to move forward. Would something like this on my record absolutely kill my chances at a school like BC or Fordham (either of which would be a dream come true)? I have a 3.52 uGPA, projecting to get a 165 on the LSAT (taking in January), and I have since graduated with a Master's degree.
In Fall 2012, during my first semester of undergraduate studies, I was having difficulty adjusting to on-campus life and making new friends, and I lacked strong social skills. Throughout the semester I attempted to pursue a friendship with one of the resident advisors in my building, but I failed to understand the other student's non-verbal indications that they did not wish to engage socially beyond our existing RA-resident relationship. Because of my misunderstanding I was more persistent in trying to interact with them than they were comfortable with. The issue was referred to the Director of Student Integrity, who recommended it go before the University Conduct Board. In the UCB hearing, overseen by a panel of faculty and students, I was found responsible for violating the university's policy of Respect for Others. As a result of this hearing, I was sanctioned to meet with the university's [student engagement center] to learn how to be better involved in the campus community, and I voluntarily sought counselling at the university's counseling center to learn to create healthier interpersonal relationships. This disciplinary action did not lead to any interruption of my studies, nor did it impact my academic scholarships, or my ability to hold leadership positions or to study abroad. Provided I did not live in a residence hall where the other student was a resident advisor, I was still permitted to live on-campus. After my meeting with the [student engagement center] I was immediately returned to good conduct standing.

I fully acknowledge that my actions which led to this disciplinary action were wrong and misguided, and I deeply regret any trouble or concern I caused to the other student with my behavior. I can say with certainty that my indiscretion in this matter is not at all representative of my conduct either before or in the eight years since. Thanks to the positive steps I took following the disciplinary sanction, I learned to interact more respectfully and conscientiously with others so as to avoid any such situation in the future. This allowed me to greatly improve my academic performance both in my last three years of my undergraduate program and in my postgraduate studies. Since that time, I have worked hard to be an active, respectful, and constructive member of the educational and workplace communities of which I have been a part.
That's just about a full typed page, 11pt double-spaced. I really appreciate any and all input, and I wish you all the best of luck with your applications.

cavalier1138

Re: Help with C&F addendum?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:16 am

I think this can be shorter, largely because you've used a lot of words to obfuscate what actually happened. I can't tell from your addendum if you sexually assaulted another student or if you were just sanctioned for harassment.

Be specific and concise in your first paragraph. The second paragraph is probably fine, but it may need more fine-tuning depending on what you actually did (i.e. it seems appropriately contrite for a sexual assault allegation, but it's over-the-top for something minor).

Scutrules

New

Post by Scutrules » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:27 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:16 am
I think this can be shorter, largely because you've used a lot of words to obfuscate what actually happened. I can't tell from your addendum if you sexually assaulted another student or if you were just sanctioned for harassment.

Be specific and concise in your first paragraph. The second paragraph is probably fine, but it may need more fine-tuning depending on what you actually did (i.e. it seems appropriately contrite for a sexual assault allegation, but it's over-the-top for something minor).
I agree, it can read like your'e playing down a sexual assault and that's not how you want to come across. If that's not what happened, make it quite clear (maybe give an example of what you mean, like were you texting/emailing/knocking on their door late at night?).

TMJ2017

New

Post by TMJ2017 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:41 am

lsathrowawayy12345 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:21 am
Hi all. I got in a little disciplinary trouble my first semester of college. I'm deeply embarrassed by it and have worked really hard to overcome it. It's outlined in the C&F addendum I've added below, and I just wanted to know if it expresses how deeply I regret my actions and how hard I have worked to move forward. Would something like this on my record absolutely kill my chances at a school like BC or Fordham (either of which would be a dream come true)? I have a 3.52 uGPA, projecting to get a 165 on the LSAT (taking in January), and I have since graduated with a Master's degree.
In Fall 2012, during my first semester of undergraduate studies, I was having difficulty adjusting to on-campus life and making new friends, and I lacked strong social skills. Throughout the semester I attempted to pursue a friendship with one of the resident advisors in my building, but I failed to understand the other student's non-verbal indications that they did not wish to engage socially beyond our existing RA-resident relationship. Because of my misunderstanding I was more persistent in trying to interact with them than they were comfortable with. The issue was referred to the Director of Student Integrity, who recommended it go before the University Conduct Board. In the UCB hearing, overseen by a panel of faculty and students, I was found responsible for violating the university's policy of Respect for Others. As a result of this hearing, I was sanctioned to meet with the university's [student engagement center] to learn how to be better involved in the campus community, and I voluntarily sought counselling at the university's counseling center to learn to create healthier interpersonal relationships. This disciplinary action did not lead to any interruption of my studies, nor did it impact my academic scholarships, or my ability to hold leadership positions or to study abroad. Provided I did not live in a residence hall where the other student was a resident advisor, I was still permitted to live on-campus. After my meeting with the [student engagement center] I was immediately returned to good conduct standing.

I fully acknowledge that my actions which led to this disciplinary action were wrong and misguided, and I deeply regret any trouble or concern I caused to the other student with my behavior. I can say with certainty that my indiscretion in this matter is not at all representative of my conduct either before or in the eight years since. Thanks to the positive steps I took following the disciplinary sanction, I learned to interact more respectfully and conscientiously with others so as to avoid any such situation in the future. This allowed me to greatly improve my academic performance both in my last three years of my undergraduate program and in my postgraduate studies. Since that time, I have worked hard to be an active, respectful, and constructive member of the educational and workplace communities of which I have been a part.
That's just about a full typed page, 11pt double-spaced. I really appreciate any and all input, and I wish you all the best of luck with your applications.
You need to provide more information on the conduct that got you brought before the board to get a meaningful response. If this wasn’t harassment and merely you being a very awkward freshman and trying to be friends with an upperclassmen RA who maybe in turn arguably overreacted by reporting you to the school, I’m not sure you’d even have to disclose this to be honest, since I think it’s reasonable to view this scenario as not one that “reflects on your character”, which is the qualifier they usually add on to the question about disciplinary actions as an undergraduate.

If this was malicious harassment or sexual harassment, or you were making unwanted romantic advances, etc., that’s a whole other ballgame.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:15 pm

TMJ2017 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:41 am
If this wasn’t harassment and merely you being a very awkward freshman and trying to be friends with an upperclassmen RA who maybe in turn arguably overreacted by reporting you to the school, I’m not sure you’d even have to disclose this to be honest, since I think it’s reasonable to view this scenario as not one that “reflects on your character”, which is the qualifier they usually add on to the question about disciplinary actions as an undergraduate.
OP, in case you were thinking of playing this game, don't. The bar will not look kindly on you saying that you decided to not disclose to your law school because you thought merely harassing your RA didn't meet the threshold for reporting. Always err on the side of disclosure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”