Feedback on a diversity statement. Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
KLMX16

New

Feedback on a diversity statement.

Post by KLMX16 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:37 pm

Hi everybody, I'm wondering what you guys think about this DS or if anybody has written something similar and can advise from their experience framing it

Basic applicant background: 3.4x ish GPA, 174 LSAT. I'm not an URM (Asian). I'm applying pretty broadly across the T20.

I identify as a lesbian and was raised in a fundamentalist Christian church (volunteered every summer, went every Sat/Sunday til I was about 16?. Participated in anti-gay marriage marches in middle school, lmao.) I've drafted a diversity statement based on that upbringing and growing up in the closet, but I didn't want to focus so much on the trauma (although this is an element, obviously) so much as the fact that I am gay and I still identify as religious, and my exploration of my religious beliefs is this ongoing process. e.g. I worked at an interfaith magazine in college and feel like I've learned a lot about community (and love and junk) from both studying religion and interacting with people of different faiths

IDK if this makes sense. I don't want it to read as "I'm diverse because I'm Christian :D " I don't know if this fulfills what a diversity statement is asking for. What do you all think?

cavalier1138

Re: Feedback on a diversity statement.

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:34 am

kathrynecui wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:37 pm
I don't want it to read as "I'm diverse because I'm Christian "
Correct me if I misunderstood your original post, but you're not claiming to be diverse because you're Christian. You're claiming to be diverse because you're LGBT and still religious. That's a totally fine topic for a diversity statement.

KLMX16

New

Post by KLMX16 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:53 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:34 am
kathrynecui wrote:
Correct me if I misunderstood your original post, but you're not claiming to be diverse because you're Christian. You're claiming to be diverse because you're LGBT and still religious. That's a totally fine topic for a diversity statement.
Yes, you're right, I guess I was looking for feedback on framing, I've gotten a lot of helpful responses on reddit since this post was actually approved lol, people have assured me it's fine for a DS. I was originally posting thinking that if I focused too much on the 'searching for religious identity' part, adcomms would read and be like. Is the gay part an afterthought? Is she saying she's diverse because she unsure what role religion should play in her life, like most of the modern world? So ofc I'm simply going to have to frame it all properly

RandomInternetPerson

New

Post by RandomInternetPerson » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:50 pm

Are you applying to a RELIGOUS law school (like Regent or BYU)?

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:16 pm

kathrynecui wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:53 am
cavalier1138 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:34 am
kathrynecui wrote:
Yes, you're right, I guess I was looking for feedback on framing, I've gotten a lot of helpful responses on reddit since this post was actually approved lol, people have assured me it's fine for a DS. I was originally posting thinking that if I focused too much on the 'searching for religious identity' part, adcomms would read and be like. Is the gay part an afterthought? Is she saying she's diverse because she unsure what role religion should play in her life, like most of the modern world? So ofc I'm simply going to have to frame it all properly
"I am gay and religious and I'm still working on squaring the two" is a good topic.

Don't think anyone can give you any more advice until you actually write your DS. Framing is all about the specifics/nuances

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”