PS addressing sexual assault? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

PS addressing sexual assault?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:35 pm

I'm feeling very indecisive about choosing a topic for my personal statement. My "safer" option is writing about my experience working with immigrant children, with a central theme of building trust and how that informs my current work in the legal field. I'm also interested in immigration law (public interest more broadly), so there's a connection to that. However, in most iterations of the draft I've written, it feels like something better fit for a cover letter, but that's also probably an issue of style and tone at this point too.
The other option I'm considering is writing about how my own experience with sexual assault helped me connect with an asylum client who had also been sexually abused. It's a much more sensitive subject, and I don't want it to seem like a sob story, but that interaction was genuinely what made me sure that law was for me and it hugely impacted me for the better. I know it's riskier, but it also allows me to honestly and passionately explain why I want to be a lawyer.
For what it's worth, my stats are 3.95 and 176, so I know my application isn't necessarily riding on my personal statement. Any thoughts on which topic would be best?

acr

Silver

Re: PS addressing sexual assault?

Post by acr » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:04 pm

Whichever topic you feel you can better construct an engaging narrative that illustrates unique aspects of your personal background/history while strongly demonstrating how the subject of the PS contributes to your interest in law.

I’d put pen to paper for both ideas and see what flows better.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”