PS Topic for non-KJD Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
shawn577

New

PS Topic for non-KJD

Post by shawn577 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:16 pm

Background: I am 28 and I work in accounting. I was a POS in college battling alcoholism while working 40 hours a week. I have not been arrested and have one MIP (expunged). I have done a 180 since moving away from school.

I started a brain dump of my last three years. I want feedback on if I should tell the story at all or narrow in on a specific topic and if any problems should not be mentioned in my application.

Would anyone be willing to take a look over private message?

zeglo

Silver

Re: PS Topic for non-KJD

Post by zeglo » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:18 am

I am studying for bar and cannot read anything, but my advice is go with something personal and interesting. Specific is good.

Basically, write about an experience, hobby, or similar that somehow shows you are also intellectual.

I wrote my essay about a video game I played growing up, and how it tied into my interest in my college major (business) and ultimately law school. I wrote about the in-game economy, etc. and how it taught me stuff growing up.

My friend wrote his about growing up in a particular part of a particular state and how he would often have to cross borders between cities (and tied that into his interest with jurisdiction and criminal procedure).

Basically, just take anything personal and interesting and somehow tie it into law/intellectual ability.

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:26 am

Also, if you have concerns of any problems, I would discuss it in the optional/addendum portion of any application.

laanngo

Bronze

Post by laanngo » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:54 am

shawn577 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:16 pm
I have done a 180 since moving away from school.
you applied yet? with a 180 you should be in at some T14s!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”