Diversity statement as a Bisexual Mennonite? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Bonzeye

New

Diversity statement as a Bisexual Mennonite?

Post by Bonzeye » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:30 am

I am trying to figure out of writing about diversity statement about being a Bisexual Mennonite would be appropriate. For context, the Mennonite Church USA is a denomination that has been experiencing some internal conflict over the issue of homosexuality (should pastors marry gay/bi people, should gay/bi people be allowed to be pastors in mennonite churches). This sparked many conversations in my local Mennonite community and at my private mennonite high school, and things sometimes got somewhat heated between students with radically different views.

My diversity statement would be about how I have struggled to deal with this controversy as a bi person and have been given a unique perspective on. I would mention a former friend of mine sending a video of gay slurs being used at his youth group retreat (not knowing I am bi, he thought I would find the video funny) and discuss how I was placed in the unfortunate situation of having to end a friendship over moral hangups. I would discuss how this lead me to take more substantive action than I had previously, including coming out to my close relatives (several of which are intolerant southern baptists) and being willing to have the hard conversations about LBGT issues from my perspective. This further encouraged me to be a lawyer because I found that articulating myself in front of hostile audiences on behalf of diverse groups was profoundly satisfying, work which I would hope to continue as a practicing lawyer.

I want to be very careful not to "play the LGBTQ+ card," but I really do think I have some valuable perspective to offer.

cavalier1138

Re: Diversity statement as a Bisexual Mennonite?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:37 am

I don't know that you should be worried about playing a "card." You're actually bi; you actually went through these things. It's your lived experience, not a narrative you're twisting for the purpose of admissions.

This is a fine topic for a diversity statement.

Bonzeye

New

Re: Diversity statement as a Bisexual Mennonite?

Post by Bonzeye » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:56 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I don't know that you should be worried about playing a "card." You're actually bi; you actually went through these things. It's your lived experience, not a narrative you're twisting for the purpose of admissions.

This is a fine topic for a diversity statement.
[forgot to check back on this thread, whoops]
Okay, thanks for the feedback. I was simply trying to make sure adcomms don't see me as insincere, which I'm slightly paranoid of even though I know I shouldn't underestimate how left-leaning some of these places are.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”