Can schools know your race/ethnicity Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Can schools know your race/ethnicity

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:41 am

Just curious can law schools know your race/ethnicity? Given that you didn't mention it in PS or DS.

Say, if I am from a somehow overrepresented ethnicity group (Chinese), and I mentioned that in my PS, is it rather better not to mention it at all? My PS is not about my culture background, though one aspect of my PS somehow marginally relates to my culture identity.

BTW, it is irrelevant but is it worth writing the "fun facts" section for CLS? They say this section has no impact on one's application.

dvlthndr

Bronze

Re: Can schools know your race/ethnicity

Post by dvlthndr » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:05 am

To quote from LSAC:
Some law schools are not permitted by state law to inquire about a candidate's race or ethnicity. However, many still do, and this information is one of many factors a law school may consider when reviewing your application.
The applications usually have questions about your ethnicity... whether or not it is "optional" may depend.

Also, it's not something schools would openly admit to, but they could probably make an educated guess about race based on your name, undergrad institution, language fluency, etc. My recollection is that CLS in particular asks questions about your parents (including their citizenship status and place of birth).

No clue on the "fun facts." But if a school gives you the option to write something extra and talk about yourself, it probably doesn't hurt to take them up on it.

andersonn22

New

Post by andersonn22 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:14 am

I think it's not necessary at all from them.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:07 pm

FWIW, I have not ever heard any evidence of an anti-Asian bias in law school admissions. Since law school admissions outcomes turns almost entirely on LSAC GPA/LSAT, any anti-Asian bias would be almost ridiculously easy to spot.

So, I wouldn't worry about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”