Am I telling a compelling story? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
littlelibertine

Bronze

Am I telling a compelling story?

Post by littlelibertine » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:52 pm

x
Last edited by littlelibertine on Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Re: Am I telling a compelling story?

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:19 pm

Way too long.

Aside from that, it's not bad, but you can focus less on Matt.

TheBlueDevil

New

Re: Am I telling a compelling story?

Post by TheBlueDevil » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:48 pm

I also think it's too long. I think it's a bit over two pages in single-spaced, 12-point, Times New Roman font, perhaps if you could get it to a bit under two pages, double-spaced, that would probably be short enough (i.e. cut at least half of it, if not more–unless you're applying to Berkeley).

I think your narrative is definitely interesting, although your presentation would benefit from some revision. Some of the organization and wording seemed a little odd.

I'm not sure I'd describe your writing as "compelling" at this point, in the sense of "irresistible" or "guaranteed acceptance" (not that personal statements can do that anyway). While you don't want to sound too self-centered in this sort of story, the whole point of the personal statement is to help adcomms get to know you (and like you and admit you). I think it would help if you could expose a bit more of who you are.

Also, I think your current narrative would likely be most effective when applying to law schools in North Carolina.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”