Is this a risky PS topic? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
paytonalexandra

New

Is this a risky PS topic?

Post by paytonalexandra » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:57 pm

I am new here so forgive me if this has been asked previously.

I am greatly considering writing my Personal Statement on how my experience as a sexual assault survivor shaped me into the person I am today and is the driving force for my interest in a law career. I am wondering if this is too risky/controversial/dark/dramatic etc. I am not at all ashamed of my experience and gave up on being silent about it a while ago, but I don't want it to come off as a sob story/pity party.

I would not be honing in on any details of my assault and wouldn't so much be discussing the assault itself at all, but rather the effect it had on me and the "journey" (for lack of a better word right now.) I would mainly focus on the positive that came out of it and talk mostly about how it made me want to become a lawyer and help others in similar situations to mine.

Anyway, what do y'all think? Opinions? Suggestions?

Thank you :)

heythatslife

Silver

Re: Is this a risky PS topic?

Post by heythatslife » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:15 pm

I don't think it's an off-limits topic, and you seem to be aware of the pitfalls already. I'd say give it a try.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Re: Is this a risky PS topic?

Post by Mr. Archer » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:34 pm

Sounds like you have a good idea of how to focus the PS. You might as well knock out a draft and see what comes of it.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”