What warrants a Diversity statement? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
pleasesendhelp

Bronze

What warrants a Diversity statement?

Post by pleasesendhelp » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:32 pm

I thought my upbringing was fairly normal, but after thinking on it, maybe it could serve as a good topic for a diversity statement. If it wont be helpful I could save a lot of time.

If y'all here can help me out I'd really appreciate it!

So in summation:

Korean american
Low income
Grew up in Georgia
Christian household
Oldest sister is a lesbian and police officer
Faced a lot of racism both subtle and outright

2000andBeyond

Silver

Re: What warrants a Diversity statement?

Post by 2000andBeyond » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:41 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:I thought my upbringing was fairly normal, but after thinking on it, maybe it could serve as a good topic for a diversity statement. If it wont be helpful I could save a lot of time.

So in summation:

Korean american
Low income
Grew up in Georgia
Christian household
I think the intersection between Korean-American and Low income would make for some good content.

Christian household is not diverse unless the majority of Korean-Americans are something else and that impacted you. Oldest sister being a lesbian is about older sister and not you. You could write about racism but that puts a lot of pressure on what experience you plan to draw from.

sweets91

Silver

Re: What warrants a Diversity statement?

Post by sweets91 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:27 pm

EinassA wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:I thought my upbringing was fairly normal, but after thinking on it, maybe it could serve as a good topic for a diversity statement. If it wont be helpful I could save a lot of time.

So in summation:

Korean american
Low income
Grew up in Georgia
Christian household
I think the intersection between Korean-American and Low income would make for some good content.

Christian household is not diverse unless the majority of Korean-Americans are something else and that impacted you. Oldest sister being a lesbian is about older sister and not you. You could write about racism but that puts a lot of pressure on what experience you plan to draw from.
Fellow korean-american here :)

I agree with the above poster that there might be an opportunity to craft a diversity statement based on your socioeconomic status and being korean.

Just ask yourself if you can write a statement that makes you seem unique and also sells you as a law student that the school would want. Focus on how your experiences shaped you in a positive way (resilience, strong work ethic/drive, etc)

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”