PS statement - is this off limit? Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Mark Aldridge

New

PS statement - is this off limit?

Post by Mark Aldridge » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:17 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to apply to law school later this year. I've brainstormed a couple potential topics for personal statements. I wanted to pick a subject that I could write passionately about, because the admissions offices have to read so many of these. So one idea that I had is writing about a relationship that I had with my high school literature teacher my sophomore through senior year. She was more than twice my age. We met after school and even during my break periods, and, you know. I think the angle of my personal statement would be that while I am interested in the law, I'm not sure that I agree with every aspect of our legal system. I'd describe my relationship with her as an example of how statutory rape is not always what it seems. Obviously I'd leave the really kinky stuff out.

I also don't want to get her in trouble - is there any way my personal statement would become public?

maybeman

Bronze

Re: PS statement - is this off limit?

Post by maybeman » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:29 pm

Send to NW + T7. They love statements like these. The kinky stuff shouldn't be left out. Avoid Boalt & UT though

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:39 pm

Mark Aldridge wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm planning to apply to law school later this year. I've brainstormed a couple potential topics for personal statements. I wanted to pick a subject that I could write passionately about, because the admissions offices have to read so many of these. So one idea that I had is writing about a relationship that I had with my high school literature teacher my sophomore through senior year. She was more than twice my age. We met after school and even during my break periods, and, you know. I think the angle of my personal statement would be that while I am interested in the law, I'm not sure that I agree with every aspect of our legal system. I'd describe my relationship with her as an example of how statutory rape is not always what it seems. Obviously I'd leave the really kinky stuff out.

I also don't want to get her in trouble - is there any way my personal statement would become public?
Quoting for posterity

Alpal29

New

Post by Alpal29 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:40 pm

In case you can't detect sarcasm, and it appears you may not be able to since you're entertaining the idea.

Lol no. Don't write about this. What are you thinking.

Mark Aldridge

New

Post by Mark Aldridge » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:55 pm

Alpal29 wrote:In case you can't detect sarcasm, and it appears you may not be able to since you're entertaining the idea.

Like I said I wouldn't detail the exploits, it would be more of a "prompt" for me to discuss the issue of wanting to work in a legal system while not agreeing with all aspects of it. By the way why wouldn't Boalt and Texas not like this especially? Unless he was joking...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:00 pm

Mark Aldridge wrote:
Alpal29 wrote:In case you can't detect sarcasm, and it appears you may not be able to since you're entertaining the idea.

Like I said I wouldn't detail the exploits, it would be more of a "prompt" for me to discuss the issue of wanting to work in a legal system while not agreeing with all aspects of it. By the way why wouldn't Boalt and Texas not like this especially? Unless he was joking...
Writing a personal statement about how you think sexual predators should be viewed as upstanding citizens will probably not get you into law school. Also, your teacher should be fired and put in jail.
Last edited by cdotson2 on Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Aldridge

New

Post by Mark Aldridge » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:05 pm

cdotson2 wrote:
Mark Aldridge wrote:

Writing a personal statement about how you think sexual predators should be viewed as upstanding citizens will probably not get you into law school.
That's my point though. She's not a sexual predator. We had an amazing relationship and I loved it and not just the sex (which I appreciated that she taught to me). I'm not a victim.

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:09 pm

Mark Aldridge wrote: That's my point though. She's not a sexual predator. We had an amazing relationship and I loved it and not just the sex (which I appreciated that she taught to me). I'm not a victim.
It doesn't matter how you feel about it. A 30+ year old teacher having sex with one of her high school students is beyond innapropiate and she should be fired and not allowed to teach again at the very least. Also, Stockholm syndrome is a real thing.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:16 pm

Wtf is with all troll posts recently.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”