250 aid. Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

250 aid.

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:35 pm

If you all would please provide feedback, I would greatly appreciate it!

Last November, I was asked by our Student Body President to take over the committee tasked with rewriting the student body’s constitution. The group had been spinning its wheels for months, and I was asked restart the process, provide vision, and get the job done by December first.

Over a ten-day period, my team and I worked tirelessly to get a draft done. On a Tuesday evening, we submitted our work to the Senate and were met with some trepidation, but mostly support. More importantly, we had the presumptive next administration on board.

Then, three days before the first vote, I was pulled aside by the presumptive next President and Treasurer, both of whom had played roles in the drafting process. They could no longer support us; it was just too much too soon.

I knew the draft would not pass without them. Even if it did, there would be a divisive floor fight to end a year of Senate-related drama. The Student Body deserved cohesion, and ending the push for a rewritten constitution would, in part, afford that.

Leadership is rarely about doing what’s easy. If it was, I would have led those on my team straight into a floor fight. But pushing for change at the wrong time can end the chance for improvement later on, so I decided to table our draft for the time being, an unpopular decision, but a correct one. Four months later, the draft passed in April, vindicating my decisions after all.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”