Cover Letter as Personal Statement Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Fetyukovich

New

Cover Letter as Personal Statement

Post by Fetyukovich » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:17 pm

Has anyone tried this? I don't see why a cover letter structure wouldn't be a sufficient personal statement for law school.

The structure would be something like this: 1. Why I want the opening (as a law student), 2. how my skills and background make me qualified for the opening, 3. How the culture/faculty/curriculum of the school dovetail with my broader career goals

A lot of the personal statements I read don't go into #s 2 and 3 in detail. Is there a reason why submitting a personal statement like this would be a negative? Assume GPA/LSAT numbers by themselves give a fair-very good chance of admission to begin with, based on last cycle.

lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Cover Letter as Personal Statement

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:43 pm

It seems to me like this idea would fall flat pretty easily. If your numbers are competitive, just stick with traditional PS.
1) This is a good start to thinking about your statement.
2) This should be reflected in your numbers and resume. It can be addressed in your PS if not mentioned in any of the others.
3) You don't know the culture of the school and the curricula are generally the same at each school. the faculty may have awards, but while you're attending they may be on leave, visiting professors at another school, or something else.

Basically, without seeing how it is in a drafted form, I'd put money on it being boring, as opposed to a PS that discusses aspects of you not already outlined in your resume, numbers, transcript, rest of application.

TheRealSantaClaus

Bronze

Post by TheRealSantaClaus » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:37 pm

Last edited by TheRealSantaClaus on Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMasters5

Bronze

Post by GMasters5 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:25 pm

IMO, there is really no upside and a pretty big downside, so I say don't do this.

Fetyukovich

New

Post by Fetyukovich » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:41 pm

OK, thanks for the feedback.

I am currently writing my PS now and have taken this advice into account. Would anyone be willing to read a draft of it later today?

TheRealSantaClaus

Bronze

Post by TheRealSantaClaus » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:04 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”