Personal Statement, Why X Law School Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
ouais_ouais

New

Personal Statement, Why X Law School

Post by ouais_ouais » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:00 pm

Does it help or hurt to include why you want to attend a specific school in your personal statement? I am looking to apply to about 10 schools but have narrowed that list down based on specific factors regarding each school. Should I just save the specific reason for a school as an addendum? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

WatchClosely

Bronze

Re: Personal Statement, Why X Law School

Post by WatchClosely » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:02 am

Last edited by WatchClosely on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheodoreKGB

Bronze

Re: Personal Statement, Why X Law School

Post by TheodoreKGB » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:18 am

WatchClosely wrote:I would advise that you do not include "why x law school" content in your personal statement. Each and every sentence in your personal statement should be unique and personal, and "why x" comments unfortunately tend to be generic and impersonal.

If you can transplant any sentence from your essay into someone else’s personal statement, and have the sentence still make sense, then that sentence has failed you. I strongly suspect that your "why x" comments would make just as much sense coming from Jack Flash as they would coming from Jane Doe as they could coming from you, which means they're likely not appropriate for your personal statement.

Write a "why x" addendum instead.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”