Essays that ask specific questions (i.e. UNC) Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Essays that ask specific questions (i.e. UNC)

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:20 pm

My PS tells a story of my professional development. It first starts by going into detail of a particular obstacle at work and a detailed description of what I did to overcome it. And then it moves on to talk about what I realized/learned during the experience and how my scope/attitude of the world changed as a result of that. It has lots of metaphors and parallelism and I think it's extremely well written. But it never directly addresses why I decided to pursue law or why I want to go to a specific school. Overall, it is just a very general statement that describes who I am and how I progressed over the years, but very little mention about law.

But some schools require that the applicant answer specific questions.

UNC, for example, has two topics, one of which is addressing why I want to become a member of the legal profession. UCI also wants the applicants to specifically address why they want to go to UCI.

On this type of essays, is it better to keep the original PS and just revise/add maybe a paragraph that briefly addresses the questions asked, or should I take a completely different approach and just answer the questions more directly without centering my essay on irrelevant aspects like personal development (i.e. "I want to be a lawyer because...." or "UCI is a perfect school for me...")?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”