Mail Carrier PS - Please Critique Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
marmadukeishere

New

Mail Carrier PS - Please Critique

Post by marmadukeishere » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:39 pm

Last edited by marmadukeishere on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Re: Mail Carrier PS - Please Critique

Post by cbbinnyc » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:26 pm

I thought this was pretty well-written and, as somebody who doesn't really think about the mail very much, quite interesting. It's definitely too long. Unless a school explicitly says otherwise, it's a good idea to shoot for 2 pages double-spaced (right now this is at least 4 or 5 pages, maybe even 6). Shouldn't be hard to cut down, though. A lot of the stories don't really land: scraping your knee, the thing about the dogs, etc. Also, you are a little hyperbolic at times (your heart was "pounding" because you were afraid of getting caught in the rain?). I think you can spend a lot less time explaining the difficulties of the job - the strongest point, in my opinion, is when you talk about the people you work with (like Stacy), though I might leave out the "importance of education" section. I think it's a good subject to use to lead into your interest in labor and employment law, though I suppose the transition could be a little smoother.

Something to examine as you're taking another pass is what you want to express. You mention "strength, tenacity, and integrity." I don't know if that's your best bet. You often come across as "thoughtful" and "hard-working" in this essay and I think those might be better aspects to focus on ... also much more pertinent to law school where being thoughtful and a hard-worker are big assets.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Mail Carrier PS - Please Critique

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:21 pm

This proposed law school personal statement is too long. You need to better define your theme & convey your message in a more concise manner. Once this is done, fashioning a suitable conclusion should be easy.

Your stated theme of strength, tenacity & integrity is too broad.

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”