Deleted Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Deleted

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:51 am

Thanks for your help everyone!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Final Draft - Work Experience PS

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:37 am

"I uncovered various legal issues, including overtime abuse, unethical hiring practices, and workplace discrimination, along with all the intricacies that go along with them."

Was this your job ? Some readers might think that you're a bit off center akin to those who advance conspiracy theories.

"agitprop" ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:52 am

CanadianWolf wrote:"I uncovered various legal issues, including overtime abuse, unethical hiring practices, and workplace discrimination, along with all the intricacies that go along with them."

Was this your job ? Some readers might think that you're a bit off center akin to those who advance conspiracy theories.

"agitprop" ?
Nope! Nothing dealing with my job per se, just wanted to communicate that by virtue of my research I had discovered specific legal issues within the workforce as a whole. Obviously I did not word it correctly if I am giving off that impression.

Lol come on - agitprop is a legit word and very appropriate in the context given. Not common, I'll grant you that, but do you really think the adcoms will ding me for using it?

Scalvert

Silver

Post by Scalvert » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:46 pm

I think using words that aren't commonly used is part of the tightrope you need to be conscious of because of the tone of your essay. You're facing the task of coming across as a likable advocate while at the same time showing a high degree of self-confidence. At the beginning, you come close to appearing arrogant, but the tone shifts quickly and it works (for me, anyway). However, since you do have to take care in this regard, it's a good idea to seem as approachable as possible; using more conversational terms might help that.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:35 pm

OP: Don't you think that the federal government now performs the oversight needed regarding the issues that you have identified ?

Have you ever worked in a union environment ?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:42 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: Don't you think that the federal government now performs the oversight needed regarding the issues that you have identified ?

Have you ever worked in a union environment ?
At the risk of derailing my thread, I will say that the federal government currently provides remedies to help those affected by the issues listed, but very little "oversight." Currently it is up to individual employees to bring up complaints (for instance, OSHA compliance). Specifically with unions, the courts have turned the NLRB into swiss cheese, and with the states enacting RTW legislation, there's very little that can be done to keep them viable. Only major national unions even have a chance, such as the CWA. Unions are not saints, but their first concern is for the workers that they represent, which I believe is an appropriate answer to a corporations first interest: profit. Say what you will, but an individual employee is definitely at a disadvantage compared to an entire corporation. And no, I have not worked in a union environment. Don't see many where I am at since I live in a RTW state.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:26 am

My comments are not an attempt to derail the focus of your thread; they are concerns about how readers may view your PS. When you choose to write about a topic that is likely to arouse strong reactions, you should be sure that your position is well thought out & presented accordingly if your intent is to help your law school application.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:50 am

CanadianWolf wrote:My comments are not an attempt to derail the focus of your thread; they are concerns about how readers may view your PS. When you choose to write about a topic that is likely to arouse strong reactions, you should be sure that your position is well thought out & presented accordingly if your intent is to help your law school application.
Gotcha, thanks for the help :) . So do you recommend that I bring up the current legal status of these issues? I figured that would probably be a little much for a PS. I would have to cut some things out if I did. And insofar as if I have been a part of a union environment, I think my last paragraph should give off the impression that I have not. At least that was my intent!

I definitely agree that it is a sensitive topic, but I think I lend enough to the fact that I was in no way interested in unions or employment law beforehand, and that it was purely the nature of the anti union rhetoric that drove me to my current path. I really don't want the message of my PS to be "there's a lot of messed up things in the labor sector right now, and unions will solve them!," rather I am aiming for "the tactics of my employer led me to take a hard look at these issues, and it is something that I would like to pursue in law school." Let me know if I am completely off base here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”