Dumb question! Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Dumb question!

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:57 pm

Im new to TLS and I was wondering if it was a bad idea to contact school's admissions committees and ask to have them look over your PS/DS? Would they do it if they have time?

Is it a bad idea if it's a school you plan to actually apply to since they see a draft which might not be representative of your best work? What if it's a school you have no intentions of actually applying to (and you know your statement is as good as it's going to get - ignore the fact that you can always tinker and such with it)?

Thank you all! Just figured it was worth knowing if the idea was plausible!

benwyatt

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by benwyatt » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:59 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by benwyatt on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

rnoodles

Platinum

Re: Dumb question!

Post by rnoodles » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:02 pm

benwyatt wrote:Call the fire department, this flame is huge.
Really just commenting here because this legitimately made me chuckle.

amg3131

New

Post by amg3131 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:39 pm

This is a really interesting question and certainly one I have not seen before on TLS. I think the answer is fairly obvious and I think you know the answer, but instead of coming right out and giving the answer, I think it is best to examine this scenario by way of an analogy. Let's say you really like a girl, we can call her Michelle, and you want to ask her out. For months you have thought about and written out different versions of what you are going to say to Michelle to ask her out. You have rehearsed what you are going to say in front of the mirror, in the shower, and to your pet goldfish, Blondy. But now that you feel like you might be ready to ask Michelle out, you want some third party feedback, just to make sure your pick-up line is as good as you think it is. If you were to go to Michelle and ask her if you could "do a practice run" with your new pick up line, you would most likely be met with a cruel laugh or bewildered stare. It would be extremely odd and she would almost certainly not give you any feedback and, most importantly, it would ruin the novelty of just asking her out to begin with. Therefore, doing a practice run with Michelle, the girl of your dreams, is a bad idea. However, maybe it would be safer to test the line out on Jodie first, since she has a lot of pimples, is super into close up magic, and frankly, just not the bell of the ball. If it works on her, maybe it will work on Michelle. However, it won't. Jodie will find it weird; she will almost certainly tell her friends about it, who will tell their friends, who will tell Michelle and you will end up back in the same spot. Your best bet is to ask your sister, teacher, or colleague what they think of the line and if they have any suggestions. They are people who are already on your side and are invested in your success. They want to see you land the date with Michelle, so they will give you honest feedback, without you adding any unnecessary or stupid risk. Therefore, to answer your question, do not do this, it is a terrible idea.

benwyatt

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by benwyatt » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:42 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by benwyatt on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amg3131

New

Post by amg3131 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:58 pm

An analogy

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:00 pm

This can't be real.

basedvulpes

Gold

Post removed.

Post by basedvulpes » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:00 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

basedvulpes

Gold

Post removed.

Post by basedvulpes » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:19 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by basedvulpes on Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brentwood

New

Post by Brentwood » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:56 pm

amg3131 wrote:This is a really interesting question and certainly one I have not seen before on TLS. I think the answer is fairly obvious and I think you know the answer, but instead of coming right out and giving the answer, I think it is best to examine this scenario by way of an analogy. Let's say you really like a girl, we can call her Michelle, and you want to ask her out. For months you have thought about and written out different versions of what you are going to say to Michelle to ask her out. You have rehearsed what you are going to say in front of the mirror, in the shower, and to your pet goldfish, Blondy. But now that you feel like you might be ready to ask Michelle out, you want some third party feedback, just to make sure your pick-up line is as good as you think it is. If you were to go to Michelle and ask her if you could "do a practice run" with your new pick up line, you would most likely be met with a cruel laugh or bewildered stare. It would be extremely odd and she would almost certainly not give you any feedback and, most importantly, it would ruin the novelty of just asking her out to begin with. Therefore, doing a practice run with Michelle, the girl of your dreams, is a bad idea. However, maybe it would be safer to test the line out on Jodie first, since she has a lot of pimples, is super into close up magic, and frankly, just not the bell of the ball. If it works on her, maybe it will work on Michelle. However, it won't. Jodie will find it weird; she will almost certainly tell her friends about it, who will tell their friends, who will tell Michelle and you will end up back in the same spot. Your best bet is to ask your sister, teacher, or colleague what they think of the line and if they have any suggestions. They are people who are already on your side and are invested in your success. They want to see you land the date with Michelle, so they will give you honest feedback, without you adding any unnecessary or stupid risk. Therefore, to answer your question, do not do this, it is a terrible idea.

I don't go out of my way to comment on a lot of posts, but this is fucking dynamite

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”