DELETED. Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

DELETED.

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:10 pm

Thank you for the feedback.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.

benwyatt

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by benwyatt » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:15 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by benwyatt on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Addendum Critique

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:16 pm

barley

Gold

Post by barley » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:51 pm

A couple of things:

First, I'd scrap the first sentence and find another way to lead into it. At least to me, it seems a little bit weird to start out that way. This is very nit-picky, but I also think saying that you're "notifying" them sounds a bit too... authoritative, I guess? I can't put my finger on it, but it doesn't sit right with me.

I would also consider being more vague about your grandfather-in-law. I absolutely understand that you can form strong bonds with distant relatives and respect that his illness and death affected you, but if I were an adcomm officer I might find the apparent distance of your relationship to sort of weaken/water down your justification. Maybe try saying "relative" instead?

Good luck!

salander

Bronze

Post by salander » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:29 am

barley wrote:A couple of things:

First, I'd scrap the first sentence and find another way to lead into it. At least to me, it seems a little bit weird to start out that way. This is very nit-picky, but I also think saying that you're "notifying" them sounds a bit too... authoritative, I guess? I can't put my finger on it, but it doesn't sit right with me.

I would also consider being more vague about your grandfather-in-law. I absolutely understand that you can form strong bonds with distant relatives and respect that his illness and death affected you, but if I were an adcomm officer I might find the apparent distance of your relationship to sort of weaken/water down your justification. Maybe try saying "relative" instead?

Good luck!
I agree with the notifying comment. It sounds a bit... stiff, as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”