Please delete Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Sanehka1803

New

Please delete

Post by Sanehka1803 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:53 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Sanehka1803 on Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gatorgirl94

New

Re: Hey, Anyone can help me edit a rough draft

Post by gatorgirl94 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:55 pm

PMing you an edited version :)

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Bronze

Re: Hey, Anyone can help me edit a rough draft. (2nd Draft)

Post by AnonymousAlterEgoC » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:39 am

No one really cares about your career goals--I would omit mention of that unless you can be more specific and describe what type of law you envisioned practicing. Try to understand that every generic PS includes the "I always wanted to be a lawyer" and then try to imagine adcomms wanting to hurt themselves as they read each and every rephrasing of the same pointless phrase.

You manage to say "I always wanted to be a lawyer" without saying "Why law." I guess you could argue that your vision of "changing things in Russia" is your why law, but that doesn't come through clearly.

I always wanted to be a lawyer = shit

Why law = potentially good

The other large issue facing you is that it's obvious English is your second language. Get someone good to edit your PS.

Your Russia spring 2012 paragraphs are strong but they don't go far enough. In fact, your conclusion that change is impossible without more democracy might even be seen as shortsighted. You don't want to advertise to adcomms that you've encountered a problem with (seemingly) no solution, in my opinion. I would present a different version: change is possible with the right education. Do you think that's true? Doesn't matter

bretby

Bronze

Re: Hey, Anyone can help me edit a rough draft. (2nd Draft)

Post by bretby » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:14 pm

I think this is a promising start. A few suggestions:
1. The whole essay needs to be proofed again for idiomatic English.
2. I agree with the above comment that the 2012 experience in Rusdia could be quite interesting and a place where you could expand.
3. I disagree with the poster that you need to be seen offering solutions to potentially intractable problems in world politics. Recognizing that some problems are so difficult that easy solutions are unlikely is a sign of intellectual maturity. However, offering small, practical ways that you see yourself contributing to positive - if incremental - changes would be compelling.
4. If you're looking to tighten it up, I think paragraphs 4 & 5 can be combined - we don't need every detail, just Whst is immediately salient to the small story you are telling.
Hope this helps!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”