Topic for personal statement Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
Anonymous User

Topic for personal statement

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:48 am

Hello,

I wanted to have some feedback about my personal statement topic to see if it was a good one.
When I was younger, my grandmother would always talk about my great uncle because he was involved in politics back in my country of origin: he was a renown politically active writer back in the country that wrote against the communist government in the country.

He's been kind of my idol since then and it really made me want to work hard in school and perhaps go back later and get involved in my community. I've always had good grades (3.99 UGPA) and I'm waiting for my LSAT score.

On top of that, I'm thinking about writing a diversity statement because I grew up in several countries being a muslim immigrant.

Do you guys think it's a topic that law schools would like?

stoopkid13

Bronze

Re: Topic for personal statement

Post by stoopkid13 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:51 pm

Personally, I'm not sure if the topic matters nearly as much as the execution.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:53 pm

stoopkid13 wrote:Personally, I'm not sure if the topic matters nearly as much as the execution.
Agreed. OP also has actual diversity. For awhile TLS was amuck with nonsensical DS about a white girl with a black friend or some nonsense.

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:27 pm

Just be careful about the way you write this type of essay. Often when the topic is about a role model or influential person, the essay ends up being more about that person and doesn't really tell much about the applicant.

The diversity statement topic is good.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:47 pm

Thanks for your answer guys!

I pretty much have about one paragraph about the "mentor" and the rest is my achievements because how his life influenced me.

As for my diversity statement, how should I frame it? Plain description of how I grew up being an immigrant in different countries or like what I've learned throughout my life because of being an immigrant? Pretty much, should I frame it like another personal statement or just as a description?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”