Motives/Story/sales pitch Forum

(Personal Statement Examples, Advice, Critique, . . . )
hillz

Silver

Re: Motives/Story/sales pitch

Post by hillz » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:01 am

mist4bison wrote:I decided to be nicer in my response...

I think this PS focuses on too many different elements and doesn't really come off as positive. You should focus on one specific aspect/story rather than telling a life story. I also didn't find you very relatable or likeable when reading the PS. The idea that your fathers death was harder for you than him made me cringe a little. Your discussion of how you realize you didn't struggle, but you still hated feeling pity made me hate you just a little bit. Being poor as a teenager is a disappointment, not a challenge. I read you quitting the army and admitting it wasn't honorable as you being, well, a quitter.

As someone above said, show don't tell. I however would not use any of this as a diversity statement. Having a sick father is sad, no doubt, but I wouldn't call it a diversity. Maybe I'm mistaken there or maybe it's just the way I expect you to write about it based upon this draft.

ETA: You literally end with "Oh, and I have a daughter. She's why I want to go to law school." Why would you not make your PS about her then? Jesus..

Yeah, I wouldn't write about the sick dad in the diversity statement, but for example, lots of people write about how having served in the military would allow them to bring a different perspective to the classroom. Alaird, look at Spivey's thread for more on diversity statements. Karen B. has said a lot about them there and it might help you have a better understanding of a DS & whether or not you want to discuss any parts of your background in one.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Sat May 23, 2015 9:35 am

starry eyed wrote:
fats provolone wrote:hypothetically, if you were to kill yourself, what would happen to your trust fund?
two year old daughter gets it
seems real

starry eyed

Gold

Post by starry eyed » Sat May 23, 2015 9:36 am

LOL chicken, how long did it take you to dig up this gem

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Personal Statements”